British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-12-18, 08:22 AM

I agree with you , the RBL seem to be going a bit over the top recently with a couple of strange decisions.

A poppy collector was banned because she was giving people change ! All donations went into collection tins but because she had a "float" (her own money) and would change big notes for smaller ones or coins she got banned.

Another recent case :

"Informed today by @PoppyLegion that after this year poppy collectors can no longer offer British Legion Poppy items on eBay. Only The Poppy Shop will be able to sell online."

This was from someone who has raised £194,559.81 as an "official British Legion Poppy Collector"
Old 11-10-19, 08:19 AM

Exclamation Passchendaele 100 Poppy Lapel Pin

I have just discovered that there were 2 different Passchendaele 100 pins produced by TMB Artmetal.

The 'common' one "crafted using donor metal from original 1917 shell fuses" , of which 60,083 were manufactuered.

And a limited edition (of 1000) "crafted using donor metal from original 1917 shell copper drive bands recovered from the battlefields of Ypres Passchendaele". Each pin is individually engraved with their limited edition number

I thought the "Flanders Fields" poppies were pretty rare (how many were made ?) but this is the first time I've seen this Passchendaele one. Maybe they have been for sale online but I've overlooked them assuming they were the 'common' ones.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 12-10-19, 07:36 AM

Were they both retailed by the RBL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I have just discovered that there were 2 different Passchendaele 100 pins produced by TMB Artmetal.

The 'common' one "crafted using donor metal from original 1917 shell fuses" , of which 60,083 were manufactuered.

And a limited edition (of 1000) "crafted using donor metal from original 1917 shell copper drive bands recovered from the battlefields of Ypres Passchendaele". Each pin is individually engraved with their limited edition number

I thought the "Flanders Fields" poppies were pretty rare (how many were made ?) but this is the first time I've seen this Passchendaele one. Maybe they have been for sale online but I've overlooked them assuming they were the 'common' ones.
Old 12-10-19, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
The one from made from "shell fuses" definitely was but although I can't remember ever seeing the "shell copper drive band" ones on Poppy Shop site I have just checked and they were available on the Official Poppy Shop Amazon site.

" Designed by tmb art metal exclusively for the royal british legion "

I had never thought of looking for RBL stuff on Amazon (always went directly to Poppy Shop) but recently when trying to find "Battle of Amiens" enamel pin I discovered that they had also been available on Amazon when they were first produced.

Old 12-10-19, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Have just found 94 reviews for "Passchendaele 100 Limited Edition Copper Poppy Lapel Pin" sold by Poppy Shop (most dated October 2017 but some from up to March 2018) , so these were definately sold on Poppy Shop site.

When I ordered my one (brass shell fuse) in 2017 I cannot remember seeing the copper ones being advertised.

Edit : I wonder if these were produced when the original ones reached their limit of 60,083 (one for each soldier killed) , no idea of price but would assume as they were limited to 1000 (each one numbered) that they would cost more than the original ones.

Last edited by mike_vee; 12-10-19 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added info
Old 12-10-19, 09:18 AM

No connection to the Seller but this Ebay listing would seem to confirm the 1000 production run.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Passchend...IAAOSwbmVdn24x

Simon.
Old 12-10-19, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
No connection to the Seller but this Ebay listing would seem to confirm the 1000 production run.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Passchend...IAAOSwbmVdn24x

Simon.

That was the one I saw and it sparked my curiosity .

Old 12-10-19, 03:55 PM

Thank you, what a lovely thing, it will be interesting to see what it sells for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post

Simon.
Old 12-10-19, 03:58 PM

I certainly don't recall seeing any of these in 2017, but, to be quite honest, I think I would be quite happy with a standard brass example.

Quote:
The one from made from "shell fuses" definitely was but although I can't remember ever seeing the "shell copper drive band" ones on Poppy Shop site I have just checked and they were available on the Official Poppy Shop Amazon site.

" Designed by tmb art metal exclusively for the royal british legion "

I had never thought of looking for RBL stuff on Amazon (always went directly to Poppy Shop) but recently when trying to find "Battle of Amiens" enamel pin I discovered that they had also been available on Amazon when they were first produced.
Old 17-10-19, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you, what a lovely thing, it will be interesting to see what it sells for.
I would have really liked to buy it but it was way outside my price range , it went for £335.00

It was a "private listing - bidder identity protected" , so no idea if winning bidder had been in from the start or a last minute bid.

Last edited by mike_vee; 17-10-19 at 06:03 PM.
Old 19-10-19, 02:24 PM

That is certainly a large sum of money, what price were they originally retailed for?
Old 20-10-19, 08:29 AM

Quote:
That is certainly a large sum of money, what price were they originally retailed for?
Can't find any 'official' price but found a post from a Canadian (price in CAD) that equated to £75.00 which seems probable , the 'brass fuse' ones were £39.99.

I thought this one would have gone for £150 - £200.

Old 26-10-19, 05:00 PM

Seventy five quid is certainly a fair price for such a limited edition I feel.

Quote:
Can't find any 'official' price but found a post from a Canadian (price in CAD) that equated to £75.00 which seems probable , the 'brass fuse' ones were £39.99.

I thought this one would have gone for £150 - £200.