British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-12-19, 10:03 AM

Default Navy Springbok Button

This is really a very simple question.

I know that between 1959 and 1972 the South African Navy wore the Springbok button design adopted (I think) by all the South African armed forces.

I have seen both brass and anodised versions of this button. I have even seen a chromed version. What types would have been worn by the SAN and were they exactly the same as the buttons worn by the other services. And what sizes did they come in?

I have now managed to amass quite a good collection of most types of button worn by the South African naval forces over the years - with the exception of the Springbok design. And the only reason I haven't bought any of those is because I didn't know if I was buying the right thing!

As I say, a simple question but any advice given would be very much appreciated!

And although it's a bit early, may I wish all our South African friends a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Pete
Old 06-12-19, 01:34 PM

The Navy only wore the gilt version and in 3 sizes

The anodized item you speak of was actually a staybrite coating and not anything like anodized aluminium badges. This was mostly worn by the Army post 1972 and a pre-cursor to the chrome buttons that was adopted by the army c.1975
Old 06-12-19, 03:59 PM

Thanks Milmed!

So I need to look out for examples of the gilt version only.

Now all I've got to do is find some!

Thanks again.

Pete
Old 06-12-19, 04:07 PM

Large tunic size +-20mm and small cap size should be pretty easy to find. Its the middle size button that you may have difficulty with. And then there was also a screw shank button for officers dress white shoulder boards. If you dont find any locally, send me a pm and I will scrounge around this side of the world.

Steven
Old 06-12-19, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
The Navy only wore the gilt version and in 3 sizes

The anodized item you speak of was actually a staybrite coating and not anything like anodized aluminium badges. This was mostly worn by the Army post 1972 and a pre-cursor to the chrome buttons that was adopted by the army c.1975
Are these the springbok buttons you are referring to?
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=71321
Old 06-12-19, 08:51 PM

Thanks Steven.

The extra information is greatly appreciated. I'll see if I can get any here but if I have no luck I'll pm you.

Thanks

Pete
Old 06-12-19, 08:58 PM

Hi btns

Yes, those are the ones I need - plain apart from the Springbok and with a gilt finish. I've got most of the earlier, scarcer, South African naval buttons and the later ones but I need the Springbok buttons. I've just been unsure about which particular ones to get. Although, to be honest, I've not seen that many Springbok buttons of any type for sale lately.

At least I know what to look for now!

Pete
Old 07-12-19, 08:30 AM

PM sent
Old 07-12-19, 08:34 AM

I have a few spare large size brass / gilt springbuck buttons. You are most welcome to have them if they are of use. Please pm your address.
Old 10-12-19, 04:38 PM

Madziro

PM sent. Did you get it ok? I'm never sure if they just vanish when I click 'submit reply'!

Pete