British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-01-19, 10:54 AM

Default Help identifying a military duffle coat pattern.

Hi I was wondering if anybody could help me identify a duffle coat pattern - it is plain light wheat colour wool with no lining, no markings or labelling - I have checked and there is no sign of any stitch marks. The cuffs have small leather brown knot buttons and only one button on each side. There is a detachable neck fastening with 2 single fake tortoise shell buttons. No hood adjusters. It has a chain stitched in to hang up. All cotton looks of the same type
Old 26-01-19, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Nessbird, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
An image of the coat would be helpful.
Old 26-01-19, 06:50 PM

Can't work out where to down load pic ?
Old 27-01-19, 08:54 AM

Hi

Without a picture it's hard to be specific but I can give you some general information which may be of help.

The wool Duffel Coat was introduced in the 1890s and was fastened by three wooden toggles. It also had a plain hood with no adjustment.

The Duffel Coat was only made in three sizes - being oversized so as to fit over other warm clothing it didn't need to be a perfect fit. The duffel coat continued to be issued until 1956.

Duffel coats worn at the start of WWII were fastened by three wooden toggles, adjustable wrist straps fastened with a single button (two were stitched to the coat), a neck flap fastened by a pair of buttons and press snaps to adjust the hood to fit. There was a large open-top pocket on each hip.

All buttons were plain buttons of a similar colour to the coat. The cord fastenings for the wooden toggles were made of twisted string and were also a similar colour to the coat.

During the war changes were made as economies were introduced. The neck flap and snaps were done away with and the hood adjustment was achieved by a tape that ran round the inner edge of the hood and which could be drawn tight and secured by buttons. An extra wooden toggle fastening was also added to the front of the duffel coat - bringing the number up to four.

As previously stated duffel coats continued to be issued until the late-1950s and were worn by members of all three armed services as well as organisations such as Civil Defence. They were also extremely popular items for civilians too. Many of them wore government-surplus duffel coats but many were also made by manufacturers solely for the civilian market. Based upon original designs they often had fancier fastenings, toggles and buttons. Initially they were made in the same colour as naval duffel coats but eventually they were made in a range of colours. They are still made today - I wear one myself when the weather turns cold!

Hope some of this helps!

Pete
Old 27-01-19, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Form the FAQ:
How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Tags
naval duffle coat ww2