British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-02-17, 06:43 PM

Default SA Naval Forces/SA Naval Ratings Button

I have a query concerning the ratings button worn by the SANF/SAN worn between 1942-59. I have recently acquired a ratings button of the standard design (King's Crown above a foul anchor, S and A on either side of the anchor, plain rim and lined background) but the one I have is in white metal and not in brass. Who would have worn this button?

Pete
Old 16-02-17, 07:08 PM

Pete,
It could possibly have been worn by Stewards or Officer's Stewards on their whites; the use of white metal buttons seems to have been the convention on the whites of Stewards in the Merchant Navy, particularly on the large liners.
This is pure speculation though.
George
Old 16-02-17, 07:48 PM

It doesn't help that the only article I've found on South African naval buttons is in Afrikaans! It seems a pretty good article and, thankfully, it has a lot of good illustrations of buttons and their dates of usage but as they are in black and white they don't really help with this problem! My query may be explained in the text but since my Afrikaans is limited to a few words a South African girlfriend taught me many years ago (and none of which would be appropriate!) I'm a bit stuck!

Pete
Old 17-02-17, 03:38 AM

The white metal version with SA is post WWII through to 1959 and was worn by the Naval Police. The wore a black uniform similar to the RM and with white metal buttons and badges. This is a pretty hard to find button.
Old 17-02-17, 01:52 PM

Thanks Milmed!

That's really great news. Many thanks for the info - it's very much appreciated!

Pete
Old 17-02-17, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
I have a query concerning the ratings button worn by the SANF/SAN worn between 1942-59. I have recently acquired a ratings button of the standard design (King's Crown above a foul anchor, S and A on either side of the anchor, plain rim and lined background) but the one I have is in white metal and not in brass. Who would have worn this button?

Pete
Hi Pete,

Alex Rice's excellent book on SA naval badges and insignia shows that the white metal and chromed buttons were worn by the SANF Dockyard Police.

Keith
Old 17-02-17, 06:32 PM

Sorry, missed Milmed's post.