British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-12-20, 07:35 PM

Default RAF KC bullion full size Pilot wing

Hi All,

I recently acquired this full size KC bullion wing and wondered if anybody could give a time frame as to when it may have been used. Although I may well be incorrect, I believe that the central jewel in the crown being green vice blue may indicate Pre WWII.

Any comments most appreciated.

Regards

Graham
Old 22-12-20, 10:48 PM

Hi Graham
If this was a RN badge it would definately be pre 1920/21, when the central jewel changed to blue instead of red. With RAF badges I don't believe there was such a strict demarkation. However, the various wings I have in my collection show the red central jewel on the 1920s/30s Full dress wings for both temporate and tropical use. All the examples of later versions I have (both 1947 patterns and later) show a blue central jewel. The straighter wing pattern would also suggest to me that your wing is 1920s/30s pre War pattern. Then again it could just be a tailors error!
The wing on the Full Dress uniform shown on Hylton Routledge's site is similar to yours.
Dave

Last edited by dragon166; 22-12-20 at 10:55 PM.
Old 23-12-20, 08:49 AM

Just from the photograph, I would say that was an original and worn pre war Full Dress badge and a very pleasing example of something that is becoming increasingly expensive these days.
They do, on occasion, appear in post war photographs being worn on the pre war tunic, where a particular individual has chosen to retain his old uniform, they came in many styles, but, generally speaking, often more classically shaped in the 1920's, big and bold in the 1930's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaraftype View Post
Hi All,

I recently acquired this full size KC bullion wing and wondered if anybody could give a time frame as to when it may have been used. Although I may well be incorrect, I believe that the central jewel in the crown being green vice blue may indicate Pre WWII.

Any comments most appreciated.

Regards

Graham
Old 23-12-20, 09:38 AM

Hi correct , pre war 1920/ 1930s full dress, service blue.
Regards steve
Old 02-01-21, 02:57 PM

Default RAF KC bullion Pilot Wing

Hi All,

Thanks for those who replied. My main concern was that this Wing was actually genuine which seems the case. From what has been suggested I think I will annotate it as probable 1930's.

Many thanks,

Graham
Old 02-01-21, 05:47 PM

It is certainly a very attractive badge.