British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-08-23, 05:13 PM

Default Unknown Cloth Strap

I won a couple of lots at a recent auction and mixed in with a load of 84th Foot and Y&L buttons was this cloth strap.

Looks just like a random bit of strap with a buckle on it but I can't help but feel I've seen this type of thing before but no idea where.

Its a very old, well made woven piece of herring bone cloth with very faded red edging down either edge. The strap is 90cm (35inch) long and has a metal buckle.

I can see that there would be thousands of bits of straps made for all sorts of purposes in the military but this seems a little too well made for general purpose and I suspect it was used as part of a uniform rather than equipment.

Any ideas anyone?

Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09808.jpg (58.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09809.jpg (78.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 14-08-23, 06:04 PM

Possibly for a "Document Box", I have used many of them, but in white. Also used on Manila file folders.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 15-08-23 at 08:46 AM.
Old 14-08-23, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Possibly for a "Document Box", I have used many of then, but in white. Also used on Manila file folders.

Marc
I agree with Marc, a strap for holding documents together, I remember my mother bringing similar home from her office for me to play with.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 14-08-23, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Possibly for a "Document Box", I have used many of then, but in white. Also used on Manila file folders.

Marc
Well thats an answer I didn't expect Marc, thanks! Are they normally as elaborate or well made as this?

Ivan
Old 15-08-23, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Are they normally as elaborate or well made as this?
Ivan
More modern ones are white and have a two pin buckle. If I can dig one out I will post a picture.

Marc
Old 15-08-23, 12:38 PM

Fantastic replies all and it seems you've nailed it.

As I posted the original request, I also asked a mate of mine if he knew what it was.

He happens to be a retired solicitor and said they used them all the time for holding documents together.

You live and learn....