British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23-10-17, 06:41 PM
Voltigeur's Avatar
Voltigeur Voltigeur is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal,Canada.
Posts: 5,773
Default Help Needed with Westlake I D Number

Hello gents. Not having Westlake's book and some metal titles are not available from a Google book search, can someone tell me the Westlake I D number for the following titles for my records.

Honourable Artillery Company, H A C.. (serif letters)

Royal Corps/of/Signals,

School of Musketry, S OF M. (serif letters)

Army Veterinary Corps, AVC. (serif letters)

10th Royal Hussars, XRH.

Machine Gun Corps,MGC (with top and bottom bar) (serif letters)

Not sure about this one if this the right Corps.
Army Medical Corps, A.M.C.

7th Hussars, 7 H (serif letters)

18th Hussars, 18 H (serif letters)

All help will be appreciated.
Jo
__________________
"There truly exists but one perfect order: that of cemeteries. The dead never complain and they enjoy their equality in silence." -

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23-10-17, 07:42 PM
Tinto's Avatar
Tinto Tinto is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gisborne, New Zealand
Posts: 2,702
Default

Hi Jo,

HAC 1474, 1475 variations

ROYAL CORPS/OF/SIGNALS 501
R.SIGNALS 502

S OF M (curved) 703

AVC 493, 494 variations

XRH 116, 117, 118, 119 variations

MGC 381

AMC not found

7H 101, 102 variations

18H 174, 175 variations

Hope this helps,
Tinto

Last edited by Tinto; 23-10-17 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Correction 501
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23-10-17, 08:14 PM
Voltigeur's Avatar
Voltigeur Voltigeur is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal,Canada.
Posts: 5,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi Jo,

HAC 1474, 1475 variations

ROYAL CORPS/OF/SIGNALS 501
R.SIGNALS 502

S OF M (curved) 703

AVC 493, 494 variations

XRH 116, 117, 118, 119 variations

MGC 381

AMC not found

7H 101, 102 variations

18H 174, 175 variations

Hope this helps,
Tinto

Thank you very much Tinto, your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jo
__________________
"There truly exists but one perfect order: that of cemeteries. The dead never complain and they enjoy their equality in silence." -

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24-10-17, 04:52 AM
Milmed's Avatar
Milmed Milmed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,296
Default

Jo,
The AMC does indeed represent Army Medical Corps, but from my research represents the Australian Army Medical Corps and not a British unit. If you search the forum, there are some threads on the AMC titles.

As for Westlake and pre RAMC titles, there is an AMS (Army Medical Staff) and MSC (Medical Staff corps - Westlake #405)

Steven
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24-10-17, 01:08 PM
Voltigeur's Avatar
Voltigeur Voltigeur is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal,Canada.
Posts: 5,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
Jo,
The AMC does indeed represent Army Medical Corps, but from my research represents the Australian Army Medical Corps and not a British unit. If you search the forum, there are some threads on the AMC titles.

As for Westlake and pre RAMC titles, there is an AMS (Army Medical Staff) and MSC (Medical Staff corps - Westlake #405)

Steven
Hello Steven, first thanks for your comments. Second my A.M.C. is a close match to the one in post #6 except that mine doesn't have a top bar and there is a little more space between the letters,finally there are square dots between A & M, M & C.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...al+corps+title

BTW, funny thing is I have another A.M.C. metal title but made by R.W. Ellis & Co.Ltd 1915......


Thanks to all for your help.It's appreciated.
Jo
__________________
"There truly exists but one perfect order: that of cemeteries. The dead never complain and they enjoy their equality in silence." -

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-11-17, 04:31 PM
Voltigeur's Avatar
Voltigeur Voltigeur is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal,Canada.
Posts: 5,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Hello gents. Not having Westlake's book and some metal titles are not available from a Google book search, can someone tell me the Westlake I D number for the following titles for my records.

Honourable Artillery Company, H A C.. (serif letters)

Royal Corps/of/Signals,

School of Musketry, S OF M. (serif letters)

Army Veterinary Corps, AVC. (serif letters)

10th Royal Hussars, XRH.

Machine Gun Corps,MGC (with top and bottom bar) (serif letters)

Not sure about this one if this the right Corps.
Army Medical Corps, A.M.C.

7th Hussars, 7 H (serif letters)

18th Hussars, 18 H (serif letters)

All help will be appreciated.
Jo



As a follow-up to my original inquiry, here a photo helping identifying the two A.M.C. metal tiltes I was asking about......
All comments will be appreciated.

Also included is aphoto of two home guards shoulder tiles. The first one with the crown, is supposed to be from New Zealand...with regular lugs and without any maker marks.........can it be confirmed.
Aa for the second one.......possibly 2nd WW british.???......it has two "home made" wire lugs roughly "in the field" soldered with lead in the back.
All comments will be appreciated.

http://www.militaria.qc.ca/joe9.jpg

Thanks
Jo
__________________
"There truly exists but one perfect order: that of cemeteries. The dead never complain and they enjoy their equality in silence." -

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-11-17, 05:00 PM
leigh kitchen's Avatar
leigh kitchen leigh kitchen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,939
Default

AMC - any chance it's to do with the Almeric Paget Massage Corps?
It's missing a "P" but there is a title PMS, "missing" the A.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 06-11-17 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Predictive text likes s too much.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-11-17, 07:17 PM
Tinto's Avatar
Tinto Tinto is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gisborne, New Zealand
Posts: 2,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
As a follow-up to my original inquiry, here a photo helping identifying the two A.M.C. metal tiltes I was asking about......
All comments will be appreciated.

Also included is aphoto of two home guards shoulder tiles. The first one with the crown, is supposed to be from New Zealand...with regular lugs and without any maker marks.........can it be confirmed.
Aa for the second one.......possibly 2nd WW british.???......it has two "home made" wire lugs roughly "in the field" soldered with lead in the back.
All comments will be appreciated.

http://www.militaria.qc.ca/joe9.jpg

Thanks
Jo
Hi Jo,
Yes, the HG with Crown was worn by Home Guard in New Zealand.
Have not seen the other HG type.
Cheers,
Tinto
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-11-17, 10:01 PM
Voltigeur's Avatar
Voltigeur Voltigeur is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal,Canada.
Posts: 5,773
Default

Thank you very much Tinto, your help is appreciated.
Cheers
Jo
__________________
"There truly exists but one perfect order: that of cemeteries. The dead never complain and they enjoy their equality in silence." -

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.