British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-12-20, 09:07 PM

Default ww2 Greek 3rd mountain brigade arm badge ..?

Hello Gentlemen,

Do you know if an arm badge exist for this brigade ...? Never seen on original pictures ....

[IMG][/IMG]

Best regards .. Herve
Old 21-12-20, 04:16 PM

Hi Herve

I have been chasing the same information for years, in fact I now live in Greece and have found many knowledgeable and helpful fellow collectors.

I have been unable to ever come across a photo of the cloth patches ever having been warn....but am still looking.

There is a great company here called Khaki Depot which produces items, badges, uniforms and equipment for Greek museums and re-enactors, they have produced the cloth patches for the three Greek Brigades.

Also I have a large metal shield inscribed "Royal Greek Army" on the reverse which is the badge of the 2nd Greek Brigade. Further I coincidentally found a fellow Greek collector who has the same one for the 3rd Greek Brigade.

Odd as these originally were hanging in the Reading Room at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in the 1950's. (you can see one on the top extreme left of the photo and one on the back wall towards the right)

One other thing I found was that it would appear that in "Badges on Battledress" by Lt Col Cole there is an "error" in the numbering of the Brigades, here in Greece it has been pointed out to me on numerous occasions that the 3rd Mountain Brigade (Rimini) had Athena on a Diamond as shown on the Brigade Commanders Jeep and not on a square as mentioned in Cole.

Anyway happy hunting
Regards
Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0702.jpg (56.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0703.jpg (57.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0704.jpg (51.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3205.JPG (102.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3206.JPG (53.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3212.JPG (64.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7515.jpg (64.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7516.jpg (58.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3204.jpg (46.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 21-12-20, 06:05 PM

Hello Sean,

Many thanks for your interesting reply ... So it seems that there is still no evidence that arm badges could have been provided during ww2 ...

In fact, I have only seen the brass Rimini badge worn on the right chest pocket.

It is possible that the "badge" designed was only for use on vehicles, road signs ...

Best regards .. Herve

PS : do you know if it is possible to have a copy of all military details of a WW2 Greek NCO in the local archives ... ?