British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-08-20, 11:30 AM

Default Pte Charles E. Dear (DLI, Lincs. Lab. ASC)

Hello Everyone,

I’m looking for help with a WW1 soldier, I only have limited info of him and would like to know if anyone would be able to find out a little bit more.

He is a relative of my Mother –In-Law, not that that should be a bad thing, as we get on like a house on fire, …… well most of the time anyways.

He actually come from Southampton and she is confused as to why he joined the following Regiment, since the whole family joined Units & Regiments in the Southampton area.
(He may have gone North to join up, due to the fact that he was too old to join up, is my theory, why else go all that way, unless to keep it from the family.) ??

He was in the following 3 units and I explained the reasons for his movements from one to the other, through a probable cause of “Injuries Sustained”, but any help on this front would also be of help.

Name :- Charles Edward Dear

Regt. No.1 :- DLI (Durham Light Infantry)
Army No. :- 71667

Regt. No.2 :- Lincs. (Lincolnshire Regt.)
Army No. :- 41057

Within each Divisional area one Regiment was designated a “Labour Company” these Companies were to be used at the Commanders discretion, for use in other tasks, as well as fighting on the front line. The Lincs had the 1st Inf Coy, Lincs Regt.

Regt. No.3 :- LAB CPS (what does CPS stand for?) (could it be abreviated for CORPS) added
Army No. :- 23545

After a little researching myself; The Army no. listed above (23545) shows me that this soldier was in the 1st Infantry Labour Company, The Lincolnshire Regiment (which fits the into his history) and this unit was redesignated in 1917 as:- 40 Labour Company (The Labour Corp)

Remarks
Tfd to RASC 18/02/1918
This soldier must have been either “too old” or “Injured when serving in the DLI”, hence his being transferred into the ASC, doing less manual work. (Office, Stores etc.)
The ASC was already controlling the Labour Corps units as Dock workers/Stevedores, as well as many other units during WW1.

So, if you could help with his Attestation papers, Medals awarded, or any other information, no matter how small, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Ken (The Fatboy)

Last edited by Fatboy Ken; 24-08-20 at 11:31 AM. Reason: added sentence
Old 24-08-20, 11:40 AM

Default Dear

Hi ken,

just had a look through Ancestry, and it doesn't show much more than you already have. His service number for the ASC(Army Service Corps)was T/391494. he was entitled to a victory medal and british war medal.

Mark
Old 24-08-20, 11:43 AM

He was also in the Army Service Corps:

First Name:
Charles E
Surname:
Dear
Regiments served with:
Unit Rank Service Number
Durham Light Infantry Private 71667
Lincolnshire Regiment Private 41057
Labour Corps Private 23545
Army Service Corps Private T/391494

Archive Reference:
WO 372/5/234165
(Can be found at The National Archives in Kew, and contains First World War, War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index)
Old 24-08-20, 11:56 AM

Many thanks for your help Mark,

I shall add his ASC No. to the list, which helps.

Take care buddy

FBK
Old 24-08-20, 12:00 PM

Cheers Leigh,

So he was actually transferred into the ASC, rather than, as I thought, the whole unit, great news so far.

How do I get onto the National Archives in Kew ? Do I have to join ?

FBK

All Army No's. starting with T/ = Horse Transport. (which means he could not drive a motor vehicle, which is not a problem, just a statement)

Last edited by Fatboy Ken; 24-08-20 at 12:09 PM.
Old 24-08-20, 12:52 PM

Default Dear

Hi Ken,

you can access certain records at national Archives, but you will need to pay for them. As I said in previous post, I don't think you will find any more on him than his medal index card which shows the regiment/corps he served with and his medal entitlement. If you send me your email address, I can send you a copy..

Mark
Old 24-08-20, 02:35 PM

Hello Mark,

Thank you for that, here is my email address;

kenblake2002@yahoo.com

Much appreciated

Ken (The Fatboy)
Old 24-08-20, 02:43 PM

I have just read this book about the Labour Corps. It's quite an eye opener about the size and variation of the Corps. All the formation dates of the units involved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200824_153628-1.jpg (57.8 KB, 5 views)