British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-03-21, 12:04 PM

David Jeffrey, thank you for your kind words--made my day! When the DVDs arrive and I begin re-watching them, I'll make notes. I originally watched the episodes early in my career and haven't watched them since, so it'll be fun and interesting to see them now in retrospect!

Dumdum, hear-hear! Many current programmes are absolute tripe!
Old 04-03-21, 02:20 PM

Can’t remember who but somebody in the 50s coined the phrase, “TV, the opiate of the masses”! And I’m of the belief that you pay for it over there? Regards,D.J.
Old 04-03-21, 03:42 PM

One of the episodes of the first season of Our Girl deals with disarming a suicide vest. Have to have very high respect for the men who do that task!!!

Terry
Old 06-03-21, 04:53 PM

What is it with you and Lacey Turner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
One of the episodes of the first season of Our Girl deals with disarming a suicide vest. Have to have very high respect for the men who do that task!!!

Terry
Old 06-03-21, 05:34 PM

Apparently you could hear the bang 5 miles away, I'm about twelve miles away and I didn't, unlike Uffculme fireworks factory some years ago which we did hear.

The Exeter Blitz has been an interest of mine for quite a while, it wasn't relentless like London or as destructive as Coventry, in fact it happened over a very few days but it destroyed much of old Exeter which was rebuilt hideously IMO.

History records that the Home Guard were hit very badly loosing several men in their headquarters in the old 1st Rifle Volunteers Drill Hall in Bedford Circus, their vehicle depot was destroyed and the Commanding Officer who was off duty fire watching outside his house was killed. Some of the men are buried in the Higher Cemetery along with many civilians, I'm yet to locate the COs grave, I believe its somewhere near Exmouth.

I've always quite fancied owning an empty German bomb.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exeter.jpg (63.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 06-03-21, 06:37 PM

Interesting question Frank. It is not necessarily Lacey Turner that is my focus, but that she plays a medic, which is an area I collect now thanks to Sean. I also really like any story where I see someone better themselves, which she obviously does. I continue to watch the series repeatedly, because I like seeing the transition she goes through, with the first few episodes being the most interesting as she goes through boot camp and then finally proves herself in the field.

I will admit that I like her character enough to say that I am putting together a framed display of her badges along with a couple of photos of her and her autograph.

The fact that she could be my granddaughter or maybe even great-granddaughter says that any romantic aspects are non-existent. I just enjoy seeing people better themselves. I also love the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series - books and movies.

Hope this answers your question,

Terry

Last edited by Home Guard; 07-03-21 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-03-21, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Can’t remember who but somebody in the 50s coined the phrase, “TV, the opiate of the masses”! And I’m of the belief that you pay for it over there? Regards,D.J.
It was Karl Marx who said that about religion being the opiate of the masses.
Old 06-03-21, 07:04 PM

Knock knock

Who's there?

Biggish

Biggishwho?

Sorry mate, got one already.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0989coverlarge.jpg (51.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-03-21, 07:05 PM

I'll get me coat.......
Old 07-03-21, 02:31 PM

Talking

Don’t forget to turn off the TV on your way out!
Old 07-03-21, 05:59 PM

Larf? - I almos' paid me tv license.
Old 09-03-21, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
SemperFi.. (Jay) Don’t know where you’re from..... but did you ever watch the series “Danger-UXB”.? I’m wondering, to the untrained eye, the episodes were pretty impressive, (technically), but were the actions undertaken really well done and truthful to the “Trained Eye”? Maybe a trifle out of your timeline but give us the “Gen”. Regards, D.J.
They’ve been rerunning the series here in Blighty from time to time recently on a wonderful little channel called Talking Pictures TV. It was as gripping and tense, to me anyway, as when I first watched it back in the 70s.
Old 04-05-21, 04:27 PM

When I was a lot younger there were loads of blasting near our home as they were making a new freeway. Can clearly remember watching this and they used to cover the blast area with large blast blankets as they called them, made from interwoven strips of old car tyres.

At the time of the blast the vast majority of the rocks were trapped by these blast blankets, there were of course the odd flying rock but being kept at a safe distance we were safe along with nearby houses.

Brian
Old 04-05-21, 08:46 PM

They did some blasting on our street and also used some kind of blanket material to cover the blast area. Worked well and there would be a slight carumph and a slight lifting of the blanket, but no shrapnel. The blanket was so heavy they had to use a dirt hog to move it around. Was very glad when they finished and we suffered now wall damage.

Terry