British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-19, 10:55 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi

Having made several recent posts about the "official" OWS badges, I was moved to re-post some of the infinite variety of what you might call the "generic" 1915 badges.

I'm been truly astounded by the range and design of them and I've even bought another (not in the scan) that is yet again different.

Like the small "pie crust" edge one? I do!

By the way, that silver-looking round badge is actually thin silver but not marked as such.
Some fine looking examples there. I have a couple of them myself but I would be a very happy man if I could acquire some of the others. Very nice indeed and great finds, particularly top left and bottom right in the second photo...both stunners.
Cheers
James
Old 01-08-19, 02:34 AM

Talking Why so many 1915 "generics"?

I think that the plethora of these "generic" badges shows the extent to which it was important to be seen to be "doing one's bit" and possibly their seemingly endless variety was the result of either: a) demand from the public or b) the badgemakers and jewellers hoping to make money from the opportunities presented to them. Enamel presented no difficulties as a it would have been a part of the apprenticeship for the majority of these trades "back in the day".
It should also be noted that a simple badge such as some of the ones pictured would have been a fairly easy proposition for a moderately skilled jeweller, die-sinker (or watchmaker) to produce.

I can't recall seeing any (many?) maker's marks on the back of these badges so it is not impossible that the makers didn't want to be identified......

I would sincerely doubt that these badges had any "paperwork" to go with them and little wonder that they cracked down on the mass issue of these badges.

I have, however, noted that one of the badges has clearly been struck on the die that produced the same version but with a crown (you'll see the "bump" in the white enamel). Maybe they were already getting a bit stricter with the use of the crown on regalia?

Mind you, if they had been really "hard nosed" from the outset, where would collecting be?
Old 01-08-19, 07:46 PM

Default OWS badges

Yes, I have posted some of this before but having a few minutes before I have to go and earn some money (to buy more of the little blighters!) I thought I'd add these to the mix.

Comments welcome and if there are any "initials" on the badges that anyone can identify that would be great.

For example: round badge, Union Jack, "L.C & Co Ltd"? I've tentatively got "Lancer Cycle" but that doesn't quite match.

Probably a jam company making the wooden pips for the fake raspberry jam that they were rumoured to have made in WW2!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg owsvarious.jpg (42.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-08-19, 10:37 PM

Ref: D.Mason & Sons Badge

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/D._Mason_and_Sons
Old 02-08-19, 02:12 AM

Hi James

Great stuff! Just what I was after. I did get your message this morning and will reply when I get back.

Hope to initiate a mutually productive exchange of info, etc.!
Old 22-08-20, 06:48 AM

‘Scuse me revisiting an old thread. Another of the 1916 OWS badges for women (discussed in this thread in its opening post) which is attached to a backplate is up for sale on eBay. Again, the back plate bears the letters ‘T’ and ‘S. This was the first time I had seen such a backplate. It was noted by Chipper that an example had gone for a high price on eBay...I believe over £60. The present eBay auction (poor photographs) has two bidders who after only 3 bids have knocked the price to nearly £71 with 3 days to run and it could go for ‘silly money‘ Will be interesting to see how the auction plays out. I was going to have a bid myself but will watch from the sidelines.....getting too hot for me!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/on-war-se...53.m1438.l2649
Old 22-08-20, 07:30 AM

Great badge but I have a feeling it will definitely be out of my price range

Don't know how much the one Lockdales sold in 2019 went for.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...f-a9bb00b12bb6

The number on the badge on eBay is 6845 which is higher than the 4 examples mentioned in this thread , so 'possibly' one of the last ones to have be issued.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 22-08-20 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 22-08-20, 08:33 AM

Looks like the men got a basic badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Firth.jpg (71.9 KB, 10 views)

Old 22-08-20, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Looks like the men got a basic badge.
Actually, that is a very nice badge indeed.
Old 22-08-20, 10:49 AM

The badge on eBay is now up to £105 and still motoring on. I would love to know what the one on Lockdales sold for but you have auctioneer fees on top.
Old 22-08-20, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
The badge on eBay is now up to £105 and still motoring on. I would love to know what the one on Lockdales sold for but you have auctioneer fees on top.
The same two bidders , which one will chicken out first ?

I can't see the point in starting a 'bidding war' with 3 days still to go , I'd simply wait till the last minute and bid the maximum I'm willing to pay.

If I won , great , if not then it was too expensive for me.

Old 22-08-20, 04:16 PM

Yes I agree, I think they will wait now until the end. I think it will be interesting but as we all know, there may yet be people ‘waiting in the wings’ ready to swoop. It seems an awful lot to pay for a backing plate though!
Cheers
James
Old 25-08-20, 11:42 AM

The 2 of them are still at it , bid is up to £300.00 and 4 hours to go !

Old 25-08-20, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
The 2 of them are still at it , bid is up to £300.00 and 4 hours to go !

The auction finished with £300 top bid. Although both of the bidders seemed desperate to secure the badge, I was utterly bewildered as to why they did not sit back and wait until the end of the auction and, as you say in your post before, then place their best bid. This was mindless and stupid bidding......£300 is surely above its true value.....but if they are willing to pay that type of money who am I to reason why. The bit that bemused me the most was that the seller had said ‘Economy delivery 0.88p’!!!!.........I think he must be a very happy man at present.

Last edited by Charliedog012012; 25-08-20 at 06:03 PM.
Old 26-08-20, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
£300 is surely above its true value
If another one comes up in the future the seller will base it's value on this one , which would probably have sold for about £150 without the bidding war.

If both these bidders had waited and just put in one maximum bid at the end do you think it would have reached the price it did ?