British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-09-13, 04:23 PM

Default Early Canadian Airborne Regiment Photo

I wasn’t too sure where to post this but here it is. This photo dates from 1968, probably from the earliest days of the CAR, before the issue of cap badges and before the new unification rank was introduced. Interesting use of a Black Watch sporran badge on the what I assume to be a maroon beret.

Last edited by ddaydodger; 22-03-15 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Hacked account
Old 19-09-13, 05:25 PM

Hello ddaydodger,

Please correct me if I'm wrong but were the uniforms in your picture worn in 1968? Here is another picture from 1968. It’s not the clearest shot but it’s all I’ve got at the moment. You can see that Sgt Greisbach had received the CAR cap badge but still is wearing his QOR of C uniform.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Greisbach Sr NCOs PMQs 1968 001.jpg (67.2 KB, 75 views)
Old 19-09-13, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Great image. Interesting to see the use of the sporran badge as a cap.
D-day's image shows training in the combat uniform which had been taken into wear a few years earlier as the field uniform. I think, but Bruce may correct me on this, combat uniforms started on general issue around 1963-64. Sgt. Griesbach is wearing the tropical worsted uniform. It was the summer dress uniform.

Last edited by Bill A; 19-09-13 at 06:02 PM.
Old 19-09-13, 05:59 PM

I imagine that this is early 1968, just after the regiment was formed. The soldiers are wearing combat dress, that came into service about 1964, the Sgt lacks the maple leaf on his rank badge so pre-unification rank. It can be difficult to date exactly as it took some time for the new uniforms and insignia to be issued and adopted (although the photo is dated 1968 by the DND). The caption reads: "Pre-jump riggins check. Sgt. Paul McIntosh and Cpl. W.M. Hamilton. Exercise Pegasus Leap".
It could also be someone who has just been posted to the regiment and has yet to be given his cap badge, my understanding that there was an indoctrination course before one was considered part of the unit, but I am sure there are more qualified forum member who can clarify this. I am not an expert on Canadian para or airborne insignia, I posted the picture IRT the use of the sporran badge on the beret, nothing more.
Old 20-09-13, 06:40 PM

Thanks Bill, I wasn’t sure when that uniform came about.
Old 21-09-13, 04:24 AM

Are they necessarily CAR jumpers? Could they not just be jump qualified personnel from another unit?
Old 21-09-13, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
Are they necessarily CAR jumpers? Could they not just be jump qualified personnel from another unit?
I wouldn't think so. Berets were not issued to the Black Watch, nor would any self respecting RSM let one of his men wear one, jumping or not. At this time the BW is still regular army, and supplied men to the newly formed Canadian Airborne Regiment (Apr 68).
Old 21-09-13, 09:43 PM

Okay, you learned me something today. Thanks
Old 22-09-13, 01:03 PM

Default Photograph

When analyzing this image first start with the photograph's metadata which in this case the DND catalogue number is CF68-96-71. This tells us that the image was taken in 1968.

You then need to know when the maroon beret was authorized for wear. The maroon beret was removed from Canadian Army Dress Regulations in 1953 and was only reinstated for wear by the Canadian Airborne Regiment in January 1968. Prior to 1968, the maroon beret was worn by the Canadian Joint Airborne Training Centre and it affiliated Cadet Corps. So the date of the photograph matches the year in which the maroon beret was authorized for wear by the Canadian Airborne Regiment. At that time it could only be worn for field training and for going to and from work at Griesbach Barracks as the CF was going through unification with its associated uniform changes so personnel were still wearing the headdress of their previous units until the various dress issues were resolved.

The final step is knowing when the Canadian Airborne Regiment received their cap badge. The Canadian Airborne Regiment cap badge was first issued to the regiment in August 1969 which meant that prior to this airborne personnel wore the badge of their previous unit.

Therefore since we know that maroon berets were only authorized in 1968 for wear during certain specified periods and that airborne personnel still wore their previous unit's headdress during other periods of the day until 1969; then the use of a sporran badge by this Highlander on his maroon beret makes sense.
Old 22-09-13, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the excellent analysis Ed. Could you explain the catalogue number? Eg, CF (Canadian Forces)-68 (1968)-96?-71?
Old 22-09-13, 02:34 PM

Default CF Catalogue Number

That part of the metadata I am not sure of. The 96 and 71 may be the role and frame numbers although I cannot be sure. Some of the prefixes being used by the military cataloguers at the time such as ZK indicates Ottawa (Z) and Kodachrome (K), but I don't have an extensive list of this information nor have I really spent much time learning that part of the archivists trade.
Old 22-09-13, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
When analyzing this image first start with the photograph's metadata which in this case the DND catalogue number is CF68-96-71. This tells us that the image was taken in 1968.

You then need to know when the maroon beret was authorized for wear. The maroon beret was removed from Canadian Army Dress Regulations in 1953 and was only reinstated for wear by the Canadian Airborne Regiment in January 1968. Prior to 1968, the maroon beret was worn by the Canadian Joint Airborne Training Centre and it affiliated Cadet Corps. So the date of the photograph matches the year in which the maroon beret was authorized for wear by the Canadian Airborne Regiment. At that time it could only be worn for field training and for going to and from work at Griesbach Barracks as the CF was going through unification with its associated uniform changes so personnel were still wearing the headdress of their previous units until the various dress issues were resolved.

The final step is knowing when the Canadian Airborne Regiment received their cap badge. The Canadian Airborne Regiment cap badge was first issued to the regiment in August 1969 which meant that prior to this airborne personnel wore the badge of their previous unit.

Therefore since we know that maroon berets were only authorized in 1968 for wear during certain specified periods and that airborne personnel still wore their previous unit's headdress during other periods of the day until 1969; then the use of a sporran badge by this Highlander on his maroon beret makes sense.
Well, ya.... if you want to be logical and put thought into it, then I suppose it does make sense

I'm convinced.
Old 23-09-13, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
That part of the metadata I am not sure of. The 96 and 71 may be the role and frame numbers although I cannot be sure. Some of the prefixes being used by the military cataloguers at the time such as ZK indicates Ottawa (Z) and Kodachrome (K), but I don't have an extensive list of this information nor have I really spent much time learning that part of the archivists trade.

Thanks for the more in depth explanation.

Cheers

Last edited by cw2311; 23-09-13 at 02:49 PM.
Old 23-09-13, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

The badges of the Canadian Airborne Regiment are a study waiting to be done. In its short history there were several issues of cap and collar badges for the CAR, as well as a variety of shoulder insignia. Bruce has added an interesting piece of the puzzle by showing the badge worn by the Black Watch personnel who volunteered for the CAR.
A note about the strength of the Canaidan Airborne Regiment. The CAR was manned by by personnel who volunteered for service with the airborne, but were in essence seconded from one of the regular army units for a period of service. (I believe the initial term was two years.) The CAR drew from the RCR, PPCLI, R 22é R, Canadian Guards, Black Watch and the Queen's Own Rifles. The latter three regiments lost their regular force battalions in 1970.
Old 23-09-13, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
The badges of the Canadian Airborne Regiment are a study waiting to be done.
If you can find the back issues of the CAbR magazine there was a series of articles published on both the beret and the badge. These were written by Michel Wyzinski (sp?) who was the 1 Can Para Bn archivist, a proffessional archivist at LAC and co-author (with Berndt Horn) of a number of para-related books.
I have some copies but a request to the DHH librarian revealed that they only had a few issues, so good luck. (Bet you Ed has all the back issues)

Clive