British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-04-08, 06:28 PM

Default Canadian Legion and Firemen

Hi, recently saw two titles, Canadian Legion Maple Leaf Shows white on khaki, and Canadian Firemen in Great Britain red on black, both embroidered. What were these organisations?
Old 05-04-08, 07:46 PM

There's a thread in the Corps & Branches section entitled Auxiliary Services that gives a bit of info. As one of the groups involved, the Canadian Legion's specialty was organizing performances & shows for the troops' entertainment. No doubt the Maple Leaf Shows title was worn by their uniformed personell who were involved in this.
The Canadian Firfighters were just that - a group of volunteer firemen who went overseas to assist their British counterparts during the blitz. I think by the time of their arrival the worst of the bombings were over. The firefighters had a distinctive cap badge pictured here. If I'm not mistaken, they also had distinctive buttons for their tunics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Document (52).jpg (91.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-04-08, 08:08 PM

Hi, thanks for the information, really valued.
Old 05-04-08, 08:54 PM

Default Canadian Maple Leaf Shows

These have been heavily reproed(word?), please post images,(front and back),perhaps someone can make a determination about you piece.
Old 06-04-08, 01:32 AM

Hello all. Just to add a bit of info on the Corps of Canadian Firefighters (as it was the official name) it was composed of 411 professional firefighters and it was approved in July 1941 but did not reach Britain until June 1942. The corps was divided in four contin-
gents located in Plymouth, Portsmouth, Southampton and Bristol. In the course of 1944
they were returned to Canada. Three men lost their lives, only one by enemy action but there were twenty-seven marriages.
Old 06-04-08, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Default Canadian Firefighters for Great Britain

Attached is a thumbnail for the CANADIAN FIRE FIGHTERS for GREAT BRITAIN. When issued, the title read as named, but as worn, the fire fighters removed the lower line and wore the modified title. My understanding was that the "for Great Britain" was redundant once the volunteers had arrived in the UK.
Both types are found.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canadian fire fighters for great britain as worn.jpg (29.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-04-08, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Default Canadian Legion Maple Leaf Shows

Bill "bgpipes" mentioned that the Canadian Legion Maple Leaf Shows is widely repro'd. Here are two examples of the titles. Which is the repro and which is the good example? (And, Greg, this time I am not going to let the file name give away the answer!)
The Canadian Legion Maple Leaf Shows was an entertainment organization recruited to provide entertainment for the Canadian forces. From the research I have done, the group was active in the UK, and Northwest Europe. It may have had "troops" in Canada. Wayne and Schuster were two famous members of the Maple Leaf Shows.
Unsubstantiated rumour has it that the title exists in air force blue as well as khaki. I have never seen such a title and would treat one as suspect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maple leaf shows examples resized.jpg (52.4 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Bill A; 06-04-08 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-04-08, 12:37 PM

Default My guess

.........is the bottom one is the original. The top one has the lettering that is found on many of the repros. Despite some aging which some of the UK con artists are doing, it still doesn't look right. Mind you it is easier to see the differences when side by side with an original.

Dwayne
Old 06-04-08, 02:49 PM

Hi, here is a poor photo, should be able to post a better shot in a couple of weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tag2 007 small.jpg (23.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-04-08, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Default Backside...

Hi Mike, When you get a better image, see if you can image the back or at least roll over part of the title to see the backing.
Old 08-04-08, 08:45 PM

Default AHA! another test eh?

My title is exactly like the top one, so I am (guessing) that the repro is the top one,over time, I have seen other copy's of this title, they all seem to be identical to the top one, I will post photos later. I did not learn of the repros of this title (rumor), until after I had purchased it. Long before information sources (like this forum) existed.
Old 02-05-08, 05:21 PM

Hi, hope these images are OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canadian maple leaf & bobs 011.jpg (78.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg canadian maple leaf & bobs 013.jpg (77.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg canadian maple leaf & bobs 014.jpg (49.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg canadian maple leaf & bobs 015.jpg (57.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-05-08, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mike, Thanks for getting those images. You have posted two very scarce Canadian WW2 shoulder titles. Both appear to be authentic, and not repro.