British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-05-13, 04:56 PM

Default Collector Insurance

Can anyone suggest or advise an Insurer that will cover Militaria in general, not just Badges. I realize that some Insurers will cover some items within the general contents of Home Insurance, but am looking for a separate Insurer just for Military collectibles. Many thanks, Clive.
Old 10-05-13, 05:14 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee1 View Post
Can anyone suggest or advise an Insurer that will cover Militaria in general, not just Badges. I realize that some Insurers will cover some items within the general contents of Home Insurance, but am looking for a separate Insurer just for Military collectibles. Many thanks, Clive.
Clive, There is one I used to use for both my stamp collection and militaria items. They were fairly reasonable, BUT ONLY if the pricey items (read valuable) over 1000 were itemised AND there were rules about how they were kept in the house i.e. a safe and in some cases in a safe deposit box at the bank. I'll try and dig out the name for tomorrow. I am lucky here in that I can get my stuff insured via a Luxembourg Insurance company - same one that does the car, house contents, building etc etc.
As I stopped using the UK company about 10 years ago, maybe there are more these days than there used to be......
Rgds, David
Old 11-05-13, 04:14 AM

Default Collector Insurance

Before we emigrated last year we had insurance in the UK, but finding a company taht would provide us cover was a nightmare. Strangely enough we ended up with Lloyds/TSB as they were able to include my collection in their household policy. From memory though, no one item was covered for more that £500 (not that I own any like that!). The secret was to get items issured as seperate items, not a cumulative amount for a whole collection, and have comprehensive security (alarms etc).

Now we are Downunder the insurance was more difficult. Despite living in an almost crime-free area (as opposed to Loutish Luton) the insurers here made us install security grills and locks on all windows, and double locks on doors.

Read the small print with care, as a number of other companies promised the earth over the telephone but when I read their policy there were always exclusions applying. Don't bother trying to get an 'on-line' quote, nor try the cheaper tv advertisers. If you don't fit their exact criteria they won't cover you.

Best of luck. Stephen.
Old 11-05-13, 05:50 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Stephen's comment about the maximum value is correct in most policies, but having had many stamps worth in excess of a % limit was never a problem in that they have to be itemised as separate items. I dropped the banks household policy because they don't provide anything other than a maximum % of the overall policy i.e. as an example (via the bank policy), total contents of 150K and any individual with a limit of 5% left me with a max of £750, so my St Lucia 4c grey wasn't covered - the bank also wouldn't let me increase the overall cover.... Complete waste of space so I just kept the bank insurance for "normal" household items.
Whether they are still trading or not, I don't know, but the underwriter's name was H.W.Wood, Baltic Exchange. 38 St Mary Axe, London EC3A 8BH.

Rgds, David
Old 11-05-13, 10:27 AM

Many thanks for your comments David and Stephen. Whist it seems there are quite a few insurers for Military vehicles, Military collectibles is an entirely different story. I have found a couple, but the only one that seems interesting, though expensive, is Michael James and Associates Insurance Brokers. The Insurer is Ecclesiastical Insurance. Just wonder if anyone has experience with this company, also how do fellow Collectors insure their collections? Regards, Clive.
Old 11-05-13, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee1 View Post
Many thanks for your comments David and Stephen. Whist it seems there are quite a few insurers for Military vehicles, Military collectibles is an entirely different story. I have found a couple, but the only one that seems interesting, though expensive, is Michael James and Associates Insurance Brokers. The Insurer is Ecclesiastical Insurance. Just wonder if anyone has experience with this company, also how do fellow Collectors insure their collections? Regards, Clive.
Haven't had any dealings with them. But just to prepare you for the paperwork required. H.W. Wood wanted every item listed with a) its condition, b) purchase price, c) selling value and d) replacement value, e) where stored.
They wanted pictures or valuation certificates for those over a specific amount. I think the amount with Wood was > £1000.
Be prepared. David