British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Officer Training and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-12-11, 05:15 PM

Default WW2 Air Cadet Uniform 346 HANOVER

WW2 Air Cadet Uniform 346 HANOVER
I recently acquired two ww2 air cadet tunics. Both dated 1943 C-BroadArrow. Size large (5’9 and 5’11) both linked to 346 HANOVER Air cadet Squadron, Only active during WW2
The tunics are missing the collar pins, I have since added them on.
Buttons are RCAF Kings Crown, not the standard Air Cadet ones. I am guessing this was done by the cadets, as the thread appears to be ww2 era.
Since I have 2 of them… the Second one is up for trades.
Enjoy.
The rest of my collection can be seen here…
http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq42/Vuhlkansu/
Old 15-12-11, 06:16 PM

Hanover, Ontario I assume? The Hanover I know would have been a rather dodgy place to be an Air Cadet in the war years.
Old 15-12-11, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Hanover, Ontario I assume? The Hanover I know would have been a rather dodgy place to be an Air Cadet in the war years.
I think they had their own youth movement.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 15-12-11, 08:09 PM

If they wore the same service dress as the RCAF I would think that the jacket was made with those buttons. Many years later and in the UK I was issued a greatcoat from a mixed pile of RAF and ATC greatcoats, at the time battledress was going out of use in the ATC. We took off the RAF shite hawks but there were no ATC buttons to use on them, so some had ATC buttons and shoulder insignia, others RAF buttons and no insignia. Regards, Paul.
Old 16-12-11, 06:40 PM

The uniforms worn by the air cadets durring ww2 were different then what the RCAF had. Notice the difference in the cut of the collar compared to the standard enlisted man's tunic.
Old 16-12-11, 10:02 PM

Default Cadet Jacket

Can you provide an image of the lable?

Thank you,

ED
Old 17-12-11, 01:48 AM

I've only had one WWII dated RAF jacket so if you hapen to have pictures to show the differences between cadet and RCAF jackets that would be interesting. Cheers, Paul.
Old 28-03-12, 01:27 AM

So here is my collection as it stands
I had been meening to take a picture of the label inside the jacket. Ill do it next time i take my tunic and camera out.

As for the difference... look up the RAF uniform during ww2 in google. Look at how the collar is cut.

Old 28-03-12, 11:21 PM
Banned

I picked up a WW2 Air Cadet tunic a while back, lovely condition, all badges, titles etc. I'd think the buttons might have been added by mistake, although as mentioned they might have been supplied like that.

Some years ago I picked up a mint WW2 Royal Observer Corps battledress (Sept 1942 dated) with RAF buttons and shoulder eagles. I thought they had been added by a reinactor, but a letter to the ROC Museum confirmed they were issued like that, and the recipient was expected to remove the badges and buttons and substitute them with ROC ones.

I am looking for a pair of brass WW2 type Air Cadet buttons for the tunic pocket. KNow where I can find any? I need them for the insignia collection. Do you have any titles spare, I only have a couple myself. I'll try and add a photo of my stuff, I have a full set of the wartime proficiency badges and a few others missing from your photo.
Old 04-05-12, 01:17 PM

Altho I am not an Air Force/Air Cadet collector I have been following this topic with interest.

I have recently come into some photos of Air Cadets & thought it might be an idea to post here to illustrate the uniforms worn in the 1930's.

This unit was at a private school in Ontario.

The first shot was taken in 1938, & the second shot taken in 1940.
In the 1940 shot you can just see the sleeve lace insignia worn by the two cadet leaders on either side of their Instructor.

There is no shoulder city/location insignia (similar to those posted earlier) that I can see in either of the shots

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batts cadet ldrs 1938.jpg (73.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Batt w cadets 1940.jpg (62.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-05-12, 01:21 PM

& a shot of the same unit taken in 1957.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batt w aircadets 1957.jpg (64.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-05-12, 03:53 PM

As Air Cadets did not yet exist in 1938, either the picture was taken later, or it was an army cadet corps affiliated with a RCAF unit and utilizing RCAF accoutrements, or the persons pictured are RCAF personnel attached to a cadet corps, or the uniform is a "local use" uniform (as many of the private school corps had). Do you know what school this would have been? I'm also intrigued by the chief instructor's cap badge and the collar badges the "cadets" are wearing, as well.
Old 04-05-12, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootemup View Post
As Air Cadets did not yet exist in 1938, either the picture was taken later, or it was an army cadet corps affiliated with a RCAF unit and utilizing RCAF accoutrements, or the persons pictured are RCAF personnel attached to a cadet corps, or the uniform is a "local use" uniform (as many of the private school corps had). Do you know what school this would have been? I'm also intrigued by the chief instructor's cap badge and the collar badges the "cadets" are wearing, as well.
The photo is definitely 1938, & yes I have quite a bit more info on this Instructor. The private school is Trinity College School in Port Hope. During the pre war years TCS had originally been an Army Cadet Corps, but in 1936 they exchanged their uniforms for blue & became an Air Cadet Corps affiliated with the 110th City of Toronto Sqdn of the RCAF. They became their own Air Cadet Corps number 389 in 1947. I think the unit was finally disbanded in the 1980's.

I dont know what the cap or collars the cadets are wearing but I think the Instructor's badge might be the 1WW GS cap badge. He was commissioned in 1933 & was still wearing his army uniform until the Corps became a formal Air cadet unit in 1947. He is the older officer 2nd from left, front row, in the 1957 photo above.

Bryan
Old 04-05-12, 08:10 PM

Trinity College's cadet badges are shown in Mazeas.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 04-05-12, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
Trinity College's cadet badges are shown in Mazeas.

Phil
Could you post pictures of the TCS badges pls Phil? I dont have Mazeas.

Thanks, Bryan