British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-02-10, 07:03 PM

Default 10 CRT - Bakelite??

Picked this up recently - don't know what to make of it. It is a CEF 10 CRT badge in bakelite. Anyone know anything about the use of plastic badges in WW1?

Cheers, Ian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CEF_10th_CRT_Bakelite_Front.jpg (59.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg CEF_10th_CRT_Bakelite_Back.jpg (75.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg CEF_10th_CRT_Bakelite_Lugs.jpg (57.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 08-02-10, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Ian, I have not come across any documentation regarding CEF badges being made in plastic. There were some plastic Canadian badges made in the Second World War, including the rare Canadian Parachute Corps, and the far more common Army Cadet badge.
There is no mention of plastic in Harper's A Source of Pride, and no other reference has mentioned the use of that material to make badges for the CEF.
Old 02-04-10, 05:29 PM

Has anyone got any ideas why someone would go to the trouble of making a plastic/bakelite badge like this? Re-enactor? Just because?? It does look quite old but there seems to be no record of anything like this being made for issue to Canadian troops in WW1...

Cheers, Ian.
Old 03-04-10, 06:28 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Be careful.
These 2 types of 'plastics' are completely different. Bakelite (and being older I can remember bakelite telephones....) is very brittle in comparison to most of the 'plastic' badges I have or have seen. A bakelite badge will break if you put it under pressure, a plastic badge will 'give' (but be gentle). They even sound different if you tap them on a hard surface. As far as I am aware both materials were used - beyond this I have no idea what the breakdown was between the various issues etc.
david
Old 03-04-10, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

The british economy badges are all plastic. Describing them as 'Bakelite' is a misnomer and they were not actually made of it.
Old 03-04-10, 02:23 PM

Thanks David - I am pretty sure it is bakelite then. No give, feels quite hard and "sounds" brittle when tapped/scraped gently.