British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-03-12, 09:57 AM

Default British Section NZEF

I have been priveliged to have access to 1000's of portait photo's in period newspapers .

Here is another one that doesn't conform to the mainstream thinking.Corporal C.W Saunders has matching badges ,both cap and collar .,that are all approx 35mm in height which do not match the 45mm height of the cap badge which is supposedly the ""Oak Leaf'' British section cap badge that appears in Dave Corbetts book.The photo in Malcolm Lords and Cliff Lords book ,NZ Distuigiushing patches also seems to confirm this.I will, in the following months confirm this without any doubt.

I'm am once again putting my head on the chopping block.,,David Corbett's book is/was the bible of NZ badge collecting .HE did he get a few things wrong in retrospect. .Maybe this is another example.If you have anything to disprove or otherwise please add to the thread

Of the number of pictures i have seen of NZ British section soldiers the collar badge is the same size as on the slouch hat as well as the S/D forage cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OTAGO WITNESS VOLUME 1 024_crop.jpg (94.9 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by pukman; 04-03-12 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-03-12, 06:22 AM

Iain, this is all very interesting, I have two variations of NZ British Section cap badges, when I get time I will post some pics.

I am wondering if any forum members have the hard to find “laurel leaves” British Section collar badges, so we could get some size measurements????

I would also be very interested to hear Cliffs (Quicksilver) thoughts on the subject.

Dave Corbett wrote his books as a guide for us collectors, they have stood as the best NZ badge resources for the last 40 years, I think Dave would be proud that people are picking up on research that he started and taking it to the next level.

No pressure Puk old boy, but here is a picture of Dave (Middle row, 2nd from left) so you can look him in the eye as you type an amendment to his British Section chapter.

14 Fighter Squadron, photo dated the 27th of October 1944.
Old 05-03-12, 09:12 AM

I never met David Corbett,but a friend of mine who did said he was a true gentleman and one who encouraged others to further research their field of collecting.

Here's another example of a British section soldier J D Mossman wearing the same smaller size badges on his collars and felt hat.The picture in the distinguishing patch book follows the same trend of soldiers wearing a same size collar and cap badge on the S/D forage cap.The photo in the book is a crop from a larger photo of British section which is in several period newspapers including the Auckland Weekly news and the Otago Witness.Most of the soldiers in the larger group photo appear to follow this trend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J D Mossman_crop.jpg (99.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 06-03-12, 05:48 PM

Of course those two previous examples of collar size badges worn on the caps by the NZ British section could be put down to an anomaly,but when you have about another 160 examples ,then its a trend,especially when according to Corbetts,and a nomimal roll found at archives there were 240 officers and men in the British section.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpJyl8ehAM.jpg (33.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg phpdnmIneAM.jpg (34.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Brit Section_crop.jpg (86.3 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by pukman; 06-03-12 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-03-12, 10:51 AM

Iain, I don’t think people realise just how important this discovery is.

On close inspection of my two British Section hat badges, they are pretty much identical, however, I did once own another variation of this badge which was noticeable in that it had a solid crown.

I have included the tunic buttons so it gives a better size perspective when compared to the photographs.

From the evidence presented so far, it would seem my British Section hat badges are not British Section hat badges.
Old 07-03-12, 11:06 AM

Of special interest is the British Section puggaree. (khaki/red/khaki/red?)

Old 01-02-14, 12:40 AM

Default Moari head

I don't have information regarding badges but wondered if you knowledgable folk could assist me. I have been asked by a friend to see if I could find any information regarding a carved moari head. It's wooden, brown and has tattoos carved on its face. It was attached to a bell and the inscription on it reads, off the bell HMNZS 1919. It was found underneath an old house several years ago.
If anyone can enlighten me or redirect me it would be very much appreciated.
Old 02-02-14, 04:02 AM

If you can provide any pictures they would be of great help evaluating the bell.
Without them I can only speculate that it is a commemoration piece that may have been made circa WW2 onwards.
Old 02-02-14, 05:38 AM

Hi Brent, and Lyndsay,
I'm wondering if this Maori head carving is connected with the head carving depicted in Post 45 of this thread.
On the HMS New Zealand's gun tompion is such a carving.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 06-02-14, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi Brent, and Lyndsay,
I'm wondering if this Maori head carving is connected with the head carving depicted in Post 45 of this thread.
On the HMS New Zealand's gun tompion is such a carving.
Cheers, Tinto
Tinto, without pictures to determine workmanship and age we can only guess, but it is very possible that the HMNZS stands for HMNZ “Squadron” which suggests to me it is connected to the sport of Yachting.
(The New Zealand Division of the Royal Navy was formed 20th June 1921. The title “HMNZS” was granted to the New Zealand Division on the 1st October 1941)
Old 21-05-14, 11:16 PM

Has anyone recorded the puggaree collars for the British Section NZEF ? .I don't recall seeing it in any reference book. Four colour bands instead of the usual three

This postcard entitled ''Contingent of New Zealand Troops''
''How have so gallantly volunteered for service in the Great European war in defence of the Empire'', shows the British section parading in front of a crowd in England
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British Section 001.jpg (68.2 KB, 13 views)