British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Officer Training and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-11-09, 04:52 AM

Default Information Pleas, C.A.T.S. ?

Can anyone tell me any information on this badge......

Thanks in advance....

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trades School.jpg (52.3 KB, 15 views)
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 26-11-09, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mike, Could you specify the question? Provenance? Or, who was CATS?
Old 26-11-09, 01:35 PM

Hello Bill....

I am trying to find out who was C.A.T.S., where it was and period of service...

Mike
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 26-11-09, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mike, Canadian Army Trades Schools was a Second World War organization. Following is an excerpt from C.P.Staceys SIX YEARS of War p137:

The Army itself, however, was obliged to undertake trades training on an important scale. On 10 December 1940 the Cabinet War Committee authorized setting up the Canadian Army Trades School. This large school, originally planned for Barriefield, Ont., but finally opened in May 1941 at Hamilton, Ont., was designed to instruct 2000 soldiers at one time in a great variety of trades, including those of welder, electrician, carpenter, driver mechanic, bricklayer, blacksmith, clerk, armourer, equipment repairer, fitter, machinist, cook, coppersmith, motor mechanic and instrument mechanic. By the end of 1944, over 15,000 soldiers (including many C.W.A.C. personnel) had successfully completed training at the C.A.T.S.130 In the spring of 1942, Vocational Training Schools were set up, one in each Military District. Their original function was the administration of soldiers training in civilian schools, but subsequently they themselves conducted trades training courses. Special arrangements were made for enlisting youths 17 and 18 years of age for trades training; they were enlisted in a Canadian Technical Training Corps and carried on the strength of these Vocational Training Schools.

The patches were made for the organization and exist in several patterns. Thre are at least four significant variations of the patch. There are other colours plus a "flocked" version. (Lettering is sprayed on the backing fabric.) These patches are one of the exceptions to the rule about canvas. They appear to have been made in Canada, and not the UK.
Old 26-11-09, 03:50 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Bill, was that not the CTTC program.
Old 26-11-09, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

My understanding is that the CTTC was part of the Canadian Army Trades Schools, but as indicated above, they were underage to enlist. The CTTC included 17-18 year olds and therefore could start specialized training well before they were in the army.
Old 17-03-12, 07:37 PM

Default some of the forgotten soldiers !

I see this is a old thread but I just now spotted it so I will add my 2 cents.
I was in the CTTC training corp until they disbanded in 45 I believe .
We were a small unit according to the statistics,only about 2200 altogether.
We were all 17 and 18 years old and were very proud to be able to serve in the Army. Some of the training I had at that time ,I used over the years in civilian life .
Over the past years I have tried to locate anyone from the corp ,but no luck so far. As we were young at that time I am sure some of us are still around and would mostly be in their early "80 .
Even after all these years I have many memories of my military life .We never got to see any action but all of us were ready to do our part .
The times have changed but the memories never do