British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-21, 11:31 AM

I know the badges you mean and I've seen numerous shapes/styles of backplates for looped/lugged badges , some specifically produced (and patented) by manufacturers.

I haven't seen any that were manufactured for horseshoe/button hole fittings.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 02-02-21, 09:06 AM

Hi Mike

The small RSL badges did go through a phase of horseshoe fittings but they didn't last for long then back to the "googly eyed" loops and solid fittings as seen on the 1967 Gallipoli lapel badge.
Old 17-02-21, 01:48 PM

Default The Great Pilgrimage 1928

I just got hold of "The Story of an Epic Pilgrimage" (A Souvenir of the Battlefields Pilgrimage) , an excellent book detailing the organisation and first hand details from start to finish of the event.

Although the cover and spine of the book are in a pretty rough condition , the pages and photographs are great , the book is an excellent resource about this historical jourmey.

I have three of the badges issued to the 'pilgrims' and had thought that the letters on them simply related to the branch/area they came from but the book also details which town/railway station each group would be going to.

D - South Western - St.Omer.

K - North Eastern - Arras.

S - East Anglia - Armentieres.

Each part of the pilgrimages is documented and the photos give a real insight into the experiences/feelings of the veterans/families.

What I now need to acquire is the yellow covered "guide book" that was issued to each traveller (I have a 'downloaded' version but want the real thing) , this comprehensive 'booklet' covers everything the pilgrims needed to know. There are sections on the train journey , accomodation , meals , currency and even the type of footwear recommended.

There are then chapters on each of the locations they will visit and the ceremonies they will take part in (including maps and photos) , there is even a section for "community singing" which includes not only hymns but some of the "war time favourites" like 'Tipperary' and 'Pack Up Your Troubles' !.

NB. If anyone sees (or knows of a copy for sale) could they please let me know , thank you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Story of an Epic Pilgrimage.jpg (32.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Pilgrimage Badges.jpg (33.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg legion-pilgrimage.jpg (26.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 17-02-21 at 02:16 PM.
Old 17-02-21, 06:10 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

I think you are looking for a very rare thing. After a long search I came up with 3 copies. The first in the IWM, a second version which has be scanned to be downloaded and the third was sold at auction (Stride & Co) in July 2020 with a hammer price of £140!!
Cheers
James
Old 17-02-21, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
I think you are looking for a very rare thing. After a long search I came up with 3 copies. The first in the IWM, a second version which has be scanned to be downloaded and the third was sold at auction (Stride & Co) in July 2020 with a hammer price of £140!!
Cheers
James
I have seen a couple on eBay but at the time I was looking for the official book which is very scarce (and can be expensive) , now that I have that and have seen what the "guide book" contains I wish I'd snapped one up when I saw it.

Old 18-02-21, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I just got hold of "The Story of an Epic Pilgrimage" (A Souvenir of the Battlefields Pilgrimage) , an excellent book detailing the organisation and first hand details from start to finish of the event.

Although the cover and spine of the book are in a pretty rough condition , the pages and photographs are great , the book is an excellent resource about this historical jourmey.

I have three of the badges issued to the 'pilgrims' and had thought that the letters on them simply related to the branch/area they came from but the book also details which town/railway station each group would be going to.

D - South Western - St.Omer.

K - North Eastern - Arras.

S - East Anglia - Armentieres.

Each part of the pilgrimages is documented and the photos give a real insight into the experiences/feelings of the veterans/families.

What I now need to acquire is the yellow covered "guide book" that was issued to each traveller (I have a 'downloaded' version but want the real thing) , this comprehensive 'booklet' covers everything the pilgrims needed to know. There are sections on the train journey , accomodation , meals , currency and even the type of footwear recommended.

There are then chapters on each of the locations they will visit and the ceremonies they will take part in (including maps and photos) , there is even a section for "community singing" which includes not only hymns but some of the "war time favourites" like 'Tipperary' and 'Pack Up Your Troubles' !.

NB. If anyone sees (or knows of a copy for sale) could they please let me know , thank you.

Hi Mike

I'll keep an eye out in one of our better second hand bookshops. You never know how far and wide this stuff circulated!

So, just to confirm, that celluloid "W G" Legion badge is probably "War Graves"? I think that I also have an enamel one that may or may not have a Legion link. I'll dig it out! Photo to follow!
Old 18-02-21, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
So, just to confirm, that celluloid "W G" Legion badge is probably "War Graves"?
"WG" is definitely "War Graves" even though I've seen the badges on eBay listed as "Welsh Guards" !

The 1929 badge shows that the "pilgrimages" carried on and in 2018 a "Great Pilgrimage 90" trip took place with 2000 participants.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg War Graves.jpg (45.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg RBL War Graves.jpg (58.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1929 Battlefields.jpg (59.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg GP90.jpg (23.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 18-02-21 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 19-02-21, 09:04 AM

Default Two BL badges for comment

Hi all, especially Mike

As always happens, you start looking for one thing and find another! Here are two BL-related badges for comment and possible dating.

Interesting that the BL had "regional" badges. Does the backstamp help to date these badges?

Interesting that that the Memorial Day should be produced by a firm in Southend and when did Miller start using this address?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg britleg.jpg (53.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg britleg2.jpg (43.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 19-02-21, 09:18 AM

They are a very nice pair of badges, I particularly like the Remembrance day one.

Where did you find them?

Michael
Old 19-02-21, 09:19 AM

Default Two more badges for comment

Hi all

Here is a badge for the Bradford & District War Graves Visit Association plus one other that would appear to be for the D.E.S.L. (Disabled Ex-Servicemen's League?).

The POW feathers on the latter one fooled me until I found out that the Prince of Wales was the head (patron?) of the League.

As for the Bradford badge, I found a fairly old post on the GWF asking about this badge but they seemed to know very little. Can we do better?

Yes, there was a British War Graves Association (centred around Leeds so maybe there is a vague link) that seemed to be primarily concerned with the repatriation of the bodies of the fallen.

Also wondering if the "W.D." on the helmet has any significance. "War Department"? Surely too obvious!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wargraves.jpg (38.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg wargraves2.jpg (40.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 19-02-21, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
They are a very nice pair of badges, I particularly like the Remembrance day one.

Where did you find them?

Michael
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I think that they both came off eBay many years ago. Bought separately I know. Any clue as to date?
Old 19-02-21, 09:27 AM

Sorry I can't help with the dates, I really like the war graves one with the helmet on as well.

I have been researching our branch history and have found a few newspaper articles talking about helping families go out to tour the war graves, those stories were after WW2. I can't remember the exact dates but it seems to have been a yearly event and obviously for WW2 as well as WW1.

Michael
Old 19-02-21, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Hi all, especially Mike

As always happens, you start looking for one thing and find another! Here are two BL-related badges for comment and possible dating.

Interesting that the BL had "regional" badges. Does the backstamp help to date these badges?

Interesting that that the Memorial Day should be produced by a firm in Southend and when did Miller start using this address?
Two great badges , will have to do a bit of research to see if I can find dates etc.

The various BL branches/regions were very proud of the service men who fought in both WW1 and WW2 and 'local' badges were produced. As these would be a limited number and are 'area specific' they do not appear for sale very often.

Later , branch badges were produced for their football/bowling teams , I have quite a few as they are usually quite colourful or have a 'local' insignia etc.

Old 19-02-21, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Hi all

Here is a badge for the Bradford & District War Graves Visit Association plus one other that would appear to be for the D.E.S.L. (Disabled Ex-Servicemen's League?).

The POW feathers on the latter one fooled me until I found out that the Prince of Wales was the head (patron?) of the League.

As for the Bradford badge, I found a fairly old post on the GWF asking about this badge but they seemed to know very little. Can we do better?

Yes, there was a British War Graves Association (centred around Leeds so maybe there is a vague link) that seemed to be primarily concerned with the repatriation of the bodies of the fallen.

Also wondering if the "W.D." on the helmet has any significance. "War Department"? Surely too obvious!
I think the Bradford badge must have been connected to the British War Graves Association , although it was started in Leeds it also had branches in Sheffield and Wakefield and no doubt spread to other cities in Yorkshire.

"WD" War Dead ?

Have seen something about D.E.S.L but can't remember where , a 'National Relief Fund' was was set up with Edward, Prince of Wales, as treasurer, to help the families of serving men and those suffering from "industrial distress" , so that is another connection.

Will keep hunting.

Old 19-02-21, 09:14 PM

A big "hi" to both of you!

It's always good to learn more about these items. The funny thing is that you "acquire" items as and when you see them and then think about what they are later on!

Mike, I think it was "The Politics of Influence" that has a mention of the National Relief Fund and I must have had some source for deciding what D.E.S.L. stood for or maybe just a good guess!