British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-04-22, 06:49 AM

Thanks Royal

What is your take on the Jacket?

At least we have 2005-2011 Time Frame, maybe 2010 as per Alan.

Thanks for pointing out Mike , Im still trying to get a Time Frame for the jacket.

Phill
Old 03-04-22, 07:13 AM

Personally I'd be hesitant unless you have some corroboration.

The aircrew shirts/jackets weren't hard to get hold of if you were either aircrew or outside of the 'normal' run of units. I had two in 2004 and I was never aircrew (they were more flame resistant than the CS95 ones). It may be gen and worn cutting around Basra Air Station or wherever but I'd lay money it was never worn inside a helicopter.

Its also got an awful lot of badges - in particular there's not a lot of call for AAC aircrew in commando units - they're invariably either RN or RM. Similarly there's not much call for aircrew to fall out of perfectly serviceable aircraft. Para wings and dagger are both POSSIBLE, but the combination of AAC, wings, dagger & AC wings must have been as rare as rocking horse excrement at the time.

Final thought. That kind of character (para-commando aircrew) would tend to gravitate to the SF squadrons - who wouldn't wear their 'bling' anywhere on ops - and you wouldn't wear a desert shirt in the UK.
Old 03-04-22, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

I would agree with Royal on this. I was in Bastion in May 2011 and there was no desert DPM in use by then as it has already been replaced by the first pattern MTP. The previous Herrick had all been in MTP.

I do know a few aircrew with para wings but ineviatbly they got them prior to flying training. Quite simply aircrew don't need to be para/cdo trained and when you have spent all that time and money training them to fly there it is non-sensicle to then risk injury and time away on those 2 courses. Of course if someone is All Arm Commando Trained then they do not need to do P Coy to attend the jumps course.

Without a name (and I would expect a name on the label if it was issued) there is no way of finding out whether it is genuine or has been embellished.

Last edited by Alan O; 04-04-22 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-04-22, 08:09 AM

Thanks guys

Well I think we finally might have that answer a possible (more likely) embelished jacket.

Might not like the result but, id rather get to the bottom of it and ID as either legit or !@it put together.

Again thanks for all the input.

Phill
Old 03-04-22, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Phil

It looks unworn and the tailoring of the abdges is not bad at all. Perhaps it was correct but never worn in theatre. I had several items that i was issued that remained unused and were just as pristine. It is a lot of effort to add patches to a shirt that is worth less than the value of the patches separtely!

Alan
Old 03-04-22, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the added thoughts Alan

I did think it could be a souvenair type jacket but mere speculation.

I guess the good point its from the time frame 2005-2010 OEF/OIF period, which I collect and can still go alongside my US period patches jackets(small collection).

cheers mate

Phill
Old 04-04-22, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

The badges are mostly private purchase (Union Flag and Cdo dagger are issued and I imagine the a/c is as well). The DZ patch was £1 from the PRI in 2003 and the other 2 were a couple of pounds ecah. It is the sort of shirt that you might get badged but as an a/c never actually wear in theatre.

Alan
Old 05-04-22, 06:04 AM

Thanks Alan

The stitching is taylored and all the same colour, also the jacket smells like its been in a duffle bag for some time.

cheers mate

Phill