British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-01-14, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default Windsor Regiment badges

Archive note, Windsor Regiment (re-named from the Essex Regt (Tank)), was noted to still be wearing the Essex Regt (Tank) badges in November 1955. They had not had their new badge design issued.

Last edited by Bill A; 27-01-14 at 04:09 PM.
Old 29-01-14, 10:54 AM

Default Windsor Regiment badges

Yes Bill, you are correct. When the Regiment changed it's name in 1949, during the tenure of LtCol Charles O'Brien MBE ED CD, there was great debate over the new badge. LtCol Masson, the first Commanding Officer and the fellow who designed the Essex Regiment (Tank) badge wanted the new badge to look very much like the ER(T) badge (I use that design as my avatar).

There are many photos of the Regiment wearing the Windsor Regiment shoulder titles with the Essex Regiment (Tank) cap badge.

In my reference material, I have the design of the current badge with the Tudor (king's crown) as the name was changed during the reign of King George IV. By the time the new badges were approved for wear, Queen Elisabeth II was the monarch.

For many photographic examples of the badges, please visit the museum website at http://www.essex-armoured-soldiers-museum.ca

Cheers,
John
Old 30-01-14, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge5020 View Post
...LtCol Masson, the first Commanding Officer and the fellow who designed the Essex Regiment (Tank) badge wanted the new badge to look very much like the ER(T) badge (I use that design as my avatar).
John, do you happen to know why the original badge design was not kept (with the updated wording)?
Old 30-01-14, 05:01 AM

Yes, at the time, the Regiment had ended its affilliation with the Royal Tank Regiment on 30 December, 1948 and formed a new alliance with the 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales Dragoon Guards) on 25 May, 1951 which had crossed carbines on their badge. That alliance lasted until 2 July, 1971 when the 3rd Carabiniers amalgamated with the Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons) to form the Royal Scots Dragoons Guards. This allaince remains to this day. It should be noted that the RSDG has crossed carbines on their badge as well.

Cheers,
John