British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-06-15, 08:43 AM

Default Worcestershire VTC badge

Hi,
The Worcester Daily Times of 10 May 1915 report the design of a new badge for the Worcestershire VTC, which had just been redesignated as 'Worcestershire Volunteer Regiment'. 'A badge had been approved by the authorities on which was the crest and motto of the glorious Worcestershire Regiment and the letter "V" with the title of the Volunteer Regiment on the scroll below'. I am not, however, sure if this badge was actually used until the formation of the volunteer battalions of the Worcestershire Regiment in 1918. In the meantime there are photographs of some Volunteer Regiment wearing the GS cap badge. Does anyone on the forum know anymore about the badge history? I did wonder if the design proved too close to the Worcs Regt. badge for the VTC to use?
Malcolm
Old 25-06-15, 09:09 AM

Malcolm,

This is from Bennett " Badges of the Worcestershire Regiment " page 86.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0811.jpg (53.8 KB, 44 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 25-06-15, 08:48 PM

Hi Peter,
Thanks for that. What was confusing me is that there are good pics of Worcs VTC in 1917 wearing GS badges.
Malcolm
Old 25-06-15, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

The badge shown is described as a lapel not a cap badge.
Old 26-06-15, 05:54 AM

This is on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-WORCES...item3cfcfeaacb

I have no relationship with the seller and cant comment on the originality of the badge.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 26-06-15, 09:09 AM

Default Worcestershire Volunteer Regiment

As well as the "V" badge (KK1685), there is also a Pear Tree badge (KK1686; a bit rarer). The V is on a vertical pin (which does not necessarily exclude it from being a cap badge; VTC's had a variety of fixings!) and the Pear Tree is on EW lugs.

Might this Pear Tree pre-date the V, and therefore be the VTC badge, or be the uniform version worn at the same time? Any good information gratefully received.

Best regards, Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1686 Worcestershire.jpg (67.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 1687 Worcestershire.jpg (56.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 26-06-15, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWGB View Post
As well as the "V" badge (KK1685), there is also a Pear Tree badge (KK1686; a bit rarer). The V is on a vertical pin (which does not necessarily exclude it from being a cap badge; VTC's had a variety of fixings!) and the Pear Tree is on EW lugs.

Might this Pear Tree pre-date the V, and therefore be the VTC badge, or be the uniform version worn at the same time? Any good information gratefully received.

Best regards, Tim
Have agree with Tim on this one, because of the time lapse period between the formation of a number of County Volunteer Regiments within the "V.T.C. Association" in 1915 and the official recognition from the War Office, which saw County Volunteer Regiments established throughout the U.K., and the adoption of the G.S. Capbadge in 1916.

Among my collection of VTC/Volunteer Regiment photo's you do actually come across the odd one where both pre & post badges are being worn. This is often a great help to me as the photo may not have a photographers mark, but you can often identify the unit from those wearing their old VTC badges, which is impossible if all are wearing the G.S. badge.
Old 26-06-15, 11:18 AM

Thanks to all for responses to query. I am currently working through local newspapers and for 16 August 1915 in Worcester Daily Times there is report of Worcestershire VTC regimental orders for week ending 14 August 1915 stating that regimental badges, 'for wearing in the button hole' were now available from platoon commanders. Given the recent reference of May to the agreement over the V badge I would presume that this is the one being referred. But no idea where the pear tree badge fits into the scheme of things.
Malcolm