British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-05-08, 04:51 AM

Default Timeline of Manufacture Of British Army Staybrite Cap Badges.

Hi Guys,

As part of my investigation into the classification of British Army Staybrite cap badges I am attempting to find out the time line of manufacture of staybrite badges.

I currently know of these makers taken from actual examples in my collection.

JR GUANT
SMITH & WRIGHT
FIRMIN
LONDON BADGE AND BUTTON COMPANY
DOWLER

Would members please post any others - again, taken from actual examples or, if anyone knows of companies that did not mark their badges please include but stating this fact.

I intend to contact the companies stated (if still in existance) re: manufacturing dates to build up a definition of what a staybrite badge actually is.

Regards

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 05-05-08 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-05-08, 02:45 PM

HW Timings,R.W Hughes and Grove manufacturing are others.Though the Grove badges i have are on metal sliders.In "Collecting Anodised Capbadges" there is a list of manufacturers marks.Some Gaunt badges are marked London others Bham.
As far as im aware all of the companies belong to Firmins now.The factory has all of the names above one of the side doors.
Off thread slightly,Stanleys of Walsall (plastic WWII badges)still exists,you can see the factory from the M6 jct 8-9 near the RAC building.But apparently the MOD took all the dies and plastic badge stocks from them some time after the war.
Old 05-05-08, 09:26 PM

Hi Chris and mike
Here is a pic of one of my timings
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...5&d=1208998271.
Mike mentions anodised badges with metal sliders. I have a few of these. One of them is a REME badge with a metal slider attached. The slider is a JR GAUNT B"HAM. I initially thought it was a repair, but on a closer look it doesn't look to have been broken and the metal slider nicely bent and riveted. How common was this practice. I'm sure we have spoken about this before?
BC
Old 05-05-08, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
HW Timings,R.W Hughes and Grove manufacturing are others.Though the Grove badges i have are on metal sliders.In "Collecting Anodised Capbadges" there is a list of manufacturers marks.Some Gaunt badges are marked London others Bham.
As far as im aware all of the companies belong to Firmins now.The factory has all of the names above one of the side doors.
Thanks Mike.

This might be an easier task than I though but on the downside with the other companies being amalgamated by Firmin I think the quality and accuracy of information available maybe restricted.

Regards

Chris
Old 05-05-08, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
Hi Chris and mike
Mike mentions anodised badges with metal sliders. I have a few of these. One of them is a REME badge with a metal slider attached. The slider is a JR GAUNT B"HAM. I initially thought it was a repair, but on a closer look it doesn't look to have been broken and the metal slider nicely bent and riveted. How common was this practice. I'm sure we have spoken about this before?
BC
Thanks BC,

I had a rough Engineers example some time back and I think they were early items - again, this is something else to be investigated and timelined.

These genuine staybrite items with non staybrite sliders are not to be confused with the fake tin badges with non staybrite sliders that are about on eBay and some dealers sites.

Regards

Chris
Old 05-05-08, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
Hi Chris and mike
BC
By the way, that is a darn good photo.

Regards

Chris