British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-12-08, 05:15 PM

Default Fake or real generally & particularly sliders

I saw a debate on sliders (RND badges I think) and that strayed into genuine/fake badges. I will be mounting my RM badges soon and want to be able to quote if thought to be restrikes. Also I will have badges to clear out once sorted and wish to be as accurate as possible when advertising.
I have attached scan of the RND ones and will do another reply entry with the RM ones. None of the RND ones have a makers name. The HOWE one looks as if lugs were cut/filed and slider added. ANSON, HAWKE & DRAKE appear almost dirty gilt in comparison to NELSON, HOOD & HOWE which look like normal brass. I appreciate it is nigh on impossible to decide authenticity based on photo (let alone a scan) but if you can give me any pointers on what to look for with these and the ones to follow I'd be obliged. -- Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled2.jpg (88.0 KB, 115 views)
Old 20-12-08, 05:24 PM

Default Fake or real generally & particularly sliders - Part II

Attached are the RM badge scans. The RMA badge top left has a lug folded into the bowl of the grenade = so may be genuine but with slider added. Although hard to see the KC WWII type badge is well bent and has a compass (E&E kit?) embedded into the hollow of the globe. I have lugged versions of the RMLI & RMLC badges but am really curious about the larger (older?) style RMA badge. It looks totally wrong to be real (looks like cheap 'foreign' goldy coloured brass - almost like a heavy staybright/anodised type badge, reverse is not as clearly impressed as most badges, grenade is solid not impressed) I did pick up what seems to be a sweetheart made from this badge and that might be genuine and is not overly dissimilar to this one, so now I am quite confused - Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RM fake or real 3.jpg (19.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 20-12-08, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Ray,

I don't like to be a damp squib but the original Howe, Nelson, Drake and Hawke Bn badges were lugged and not slidered. Every one sold by Bosleys etc are lugged. The Howe badge should be voided. The original Anson badges had a brass strengthener behind the spear (also faked). The Nelson originals had the flag cut away from the rest of the badge and the sail folds are different from the common fakes. This has more info: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...naval+division

Sorry

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 20-12-08 at 07:36 PM.
Old 21-12-08, 01:20 AM

Scans difficult to judge by, but the Drake badge is a fake.
Bill.
Old 28-12-08, 01:12 PM

Default Slider named - but doesn't seem real

I saw in other thread somewhere about even sliders with makers names being faked. Attached pic is the rear of RMA badge with slider having the Gaunt name. The badge itself just seems too clean, bright and shiny to be real. Is there any way to tell when maker's name has been forged on a badge? - Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMA named slider.jpg (9.4 KB, 33 views)