British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-12-08, 05:31 PM

Default RMLI in the RND

I've seen Stadden postcard of RMLI wearing caps with red backing to the badge and it is said to be representative of RMLI/RND action in Belgium. Have also aquired an RMLI or RMA sweetheart badge belonging to a survivor of Gallipoli actions (bombarding forts). Can anyone answer the following questions: Were RMLI or RMA both involved in RND in any way? Were either/both in more than one of the RND battalions and, if only in one - which one? Was that soft cap peculiar to RMLI in RND or did all RMLI have it in WWI? Were RMLI or RMA involved at Gallipoli other than as a part of RND? Many Thanks in anticipation - Ray
Old 19-12-08, 08:01 PM

Hello Ray, I'm far from being knowledgeable in the RND department but, your question got me going and I diid a little research of my own and this is what I found. The first link might give you some answers.
Jo
http://www.greatwardifferent.com/Gre...venture_01.htm

This link is in Danish (I think) and has some good illustrations.
http://www.chakoten.dk/royal_naval_div.html

This next one has photographs and names of officers of the RND.
http://www.cwgc.co.uk/gallery.htm

Another website.
http://freespace.virgin.net/jack.clegg/RND.htm

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 20-12-08 at 02:09 AM.
Old 20-12-08, 12:25 AM

Ray ,
I posted this in a previous thread here, with a similar question. Hope it is of help to you, also ?

Royal Naval Division formed in 1914, from 'spare' Naval personal of the RNVR, RNR, RFR & RM reservists.
It was comprised of 3 Brigades of 4 battalions each.
The first 2 Brigades were named after famous Admirals...Hood, Drake, Nelson, etc, while the 4 Battalions of the third Brigade ,the RMLI Brigade, were named after RM Depots..... Plymouth, Chatham, Portsmouth & Deal.

Cheers !
Steve
Old 20-12-08, 05:59 AM

Default Cheers - Most Questions answered

Thanks gents - went to those sites and learnt a lot, probably the survival from Gallipoli and reference to bombarding forts may put the owner of that badge in RM Cyclist Company (which I was unaware of until now).
Am no wiser on the cap - have only seen RMLI depicted in helmets before this but it may be because that was front line and pictures in caps were in transit. --- Ray