British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-09-13, 07:47 PM

Default SAAF Helmet flash or not?

Hi Guys

I saw this on another forum and am not so sure the description is correct?

They have it as a SAAF helmet flash, to be honest I have never seen this one, even the "Polo Helmet" does not quite look right for a SA one, it has ear flaps!

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helmet flash.jpg (54.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 20-09-13, 06:08 AM

Can you show a pic of the whole helmet. There is a flying version with ear flaps for ear phones
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 20-09-13, 06:16 AM

Hi Brian,
Also not seen this flash before and certaily does not look SAAF anyway. If it is UDF then maybe a Traansvaal ACF unit. The top half been green for Transvaal (the green in these old flashes look very dark turquoise). The bottom half looks grey indicating a mounted regiment. Unfortunately I cannot account for the red and black strip though the citizen force were allowed to ear an extra unit embellishment across the centre of the flash.

Steven
Old 20-09-13, 11:12 AM

Thanks here it is!

I suspect the SAAF badge has been added?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-13589-0-87776300-1371268042_thumb[1].jpg (3.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 21-09-13, 02:36 PM

For what it is worth - If this flash did not have the diagonal strip on it, it would be the flash as worn by Transvaal Mounted units from 1923 to 1945. The SAAF flash is a plain light (air force) blue oblong.
Old 21-09-13, 06:46 PM

Guys

I personally feel this is a fantasy piece put together to scam someone !

Brian
Old 22-09-13, 09:03 PM

Hello,
I am the current owner of this helmet. I can assure you it is not a fake and would be happy to provide additional photos with the hope of obtaining additional information.
While I, too, am having trouble identifying the flash, the helmet is indeed authentic. It is well established that these helmets with ear flaps were used by the RAF and SAAF during the interwar period. The sweatband, liner, etc is of the period as are the spacers, there is a stamp on the liner "detachable and self conforming, the royal letters patent no ..." .
As far as the flash is concerned it is not a " later" addition in an attempt to produce a "fake". It is stitched through the helmet on both sides in the fashion of the period and the felt itself is worn and of the period, matching other helmets I have seen and ones that are currently in my collection. The upper half is a deep blue green, the lower half is light blue with a red over black diagonal stripe. The flash is on BOTH sides of the helmet and stitched through the pagri and she'll.
The photos I posted on the other site were taken in poor lighting.
After extensive research I am having trouble identifying the flash. I would be happy to provide additional photos.

Mike
Old 23-09-13, 02:16 AM

Talking

Hello,
I accidentally stumbled across the site and this thread and was surprised to find that the helmet in question is mine.

I tried to post a reply previously, but it doesn't seem to have gone through. It may still, so if it does forgive me for being repetitious.

The helmet in question has been documented as the type of polo or pith helmet worn by pilots in tropical climates during the interwar period btw ww1 and ww2 and even into the early years of ww2. Though rare compared to other types of tropical headgear, there are numerous examples that can easily be found on other forums. The style has been describes as being in use for pilots stationed "east of Malta".

I can assure you this is not a fake.

The embossment on the sweatband is one common to those of the period
"detachable & self conforming, royal letters patent no...." The spacers and manner in which the sweatband is attached is also common to this interwar period! With metal spanner sand cotter pins. In fact there is an oval manufacturers stamp on the inside, and while I can't make out the exact name, the date is visible, 1928 or 29.

As far as the helmet flash is concerned, I, too, am unsure as to what unit it belonged, but the flash is clearly of the period, not synthetic. It's of wool/ felt material, the thread of which is visibly of the period. The dimensions are correct, matching the dimensions of other helmet flashes. even the stitching used to attach the two different colored pieces of felt as well as the diagonal stripes are comparable to the stitching of other examples of flashes in my collection as well as can be seen on other forums. Furthermore the manner in which the flashes are attached to helmet matches that of other pith helmets from the interwar period in my collection and of those posted on other forums. The stitching passes through the pagri and through the the shell, similar to other examples from this interwar period.

The lighting wasn't the best when I took the photos that were posted on the other forum, but I would be more than happy to post additional pics with the hope that someone can identify it, and if not , at least to add to the body of info already out t here.

The upper part of the patches is a deep turquoise blue green, the lower half is a light blue or possibly light gray with a red over black diagonal stripe stitched to it. The patches are on both sides of the helmet.

It interesting that someone mentioned that we're it not for the diagonal stripe it would match the Transvaal mounted unit. I suspect it may be Transvaal. Another interesting detail is the color of the helmet. Most piths were khaki. This one is grey green.

I suspect it may be that of Regiment Louw Wepener prior to its absorption into the Regiment President Steyn at the start of WW2. The color of the helmet is the grey green described on samilitary.org and as depicted ion the John Player cigarette card that can be seen on the same site.http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol122as.html

Mike
Old 25-09-13, 04:03 PM

Mike

I did not intentionally mean to upset you BUT to be honest I have never seen one of these "flap version" polo helmets, issued to South Africans. Our fliers in North Africa wore cloth caps. I have only ever seen one pic of a pilot wearing a SA version of the polo helmet in the East African campaign.

As for the SAAF badge that is also a mystery. I am also not questioning the age of the helmet, it is just and as you can see by the answers here, is that the flash is unknown in these parts of the woods.

If you wish to but I am not pushing you to, can you please say where and when you acquired this piece?

Regards
Brian
Old 25-09-13, 06:01 PM

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the feedback on your helmet. Could you please post some pictures of the helmet showing insignia, flaps, liner, interior, etc.
It would be nice to get this helmet positively identified.

Thanks
Steven
Old 26-09-13, 04:13 AM

Hello,
I've gone ahead and taken a few additional pics. The lighting is poor, but will have to do for now. I have no idea what country issued their pilots this helmet. The flashes are a mystery to me. I have no idea what the country of origin is or whether it is South African at all. For all I know the SAAF badge may very well have been added after the fact. It is definitely a period piece and the flash are authentic. If anyone has any thoughts, fire away.

This photo is a close up of the flash itself. You can see the cream colored stitch anchoring it to the pagri. On a pic of the interior, the same stitch is a dark green, suggesting that the original color was dark green and faded tan in the sun.

Another photo shows the liner and the maker stamp with a faint 1928/29 visible.

There is a name printed by hand, "H. Malcolm" who I assume was the original owner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 26-09-13, 04:14 AM

Another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 26-09-13, 04:18 AM

More pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 26-09-13, 04:19 AM

One more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 26-09-13, 04:20 AM

Yet another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.3 KB, 13 views)