British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-11-15, 03:24 AM

Default Lt CR Low IN. A scroll reference seen

Before going any further I should make reference to an excellent history of the Indian Navy published in 1877:-
History of the Indian Navy (1613-1863) by Charles Rathbone Low. Lieutenant (late Indian Navy).
Published in two volumes by Richard Bentley and Son, 1877.

Came across this pic of a scroll to Lt CR Low. (Attached)
Old 12-11-15, 10:01 AM

Default Interesting photo - Naval Officers(?)

Hello Pinfrin

Firstly, a quick answer to one of your questions re why some Victorian RN belt plates have a lined background and some don't. RN officers belt plates and buttons had a lined background until 1891. In the Uniform Regulations of that year they changed to a smooth or plain background. Interestingly RN ratings buttons were also intended to change but for some reason they never did. That is why today officers have plain backgrounds on their buttons and ratings still have lined backgrounds.

I though you might be interested in a couple of web sites.

The first consists of Extracts from the London Gazette sourced by the Admiralty 1907-1949.

This deals with conditions of service in the RN and RM - pay and allowances, promotion, establishment of branches - officers and ratings, etc.

It contains a few specific references to the 'Indian Marine Service' but is basically a great source of information on the early 20th century Royal Navy.

It can be found at: - http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....tte/Index.html

The other site is concerned with Naval Social History - circa 1790-1920+.

This contains all sorts of things taken from official publications, regulations and journals - including some uniform regulations. It's a great reference source but you do have to slowly work your way though it!

This can be found at: -
www.pbenyon.plus.com/Naval.html

I'm putting together a short list of publications that may help you with some of your other queries. I have them all in my own collection so I can vouch for their value! I'll post the list later.

Pete

Last edited by Guzzman; 12-11-15 at 10:09 AM.