British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-07-12, 07:34 AM

Of course - but that does not make those badges "Mercenary badges" simply a badge which was once worn by an individual merc.
Eddie
Old 23-07-12, 11:07 AM

hi guys,

found this on you tube.

it claims to be 5 commando but not sure but does show some of the green shoulder rank tabs that have been shown on here

philip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swgAo9Q0xlw

ps

a small interview with mike hoare
philip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziS1odAGLtg

Last edited by rockape560; 23-07-12 at 09:12 PM.
Old 23-07-12, 05:24 PM

Hi, I would like to add this one to the mix. I know that it is a Belgium badge, but it belonged to my Dad's best friend, Peter Hoskins. He gave it to me many years ago when I started collecting badges. He was a Dutch National and was residing in South Africa. He was recruited in Jo'Burg and fought in the Congo as a mercenary. He was wounded in the stomach at some time there, and was lucky to survive. He told me many stories of his time there, some very humorous and some horrific. Unfortuanetly he passed away a few years ago. Anyway, this is the badge that he was given as were the other guys that left Jo'Burg with him. What does that make it? A mercenary badge or not? Regards Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peter 021.JPG (21.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 23-07-12, 08:04 PM

I'm not sure about the tunic posted by tynesideirish. The badge on the right arm is the Belgian army on the Rhine - not the sort of badge worn by members of any Belgian commando or para unit.

I would be very suspicious of that tunic were it offered to me - it looks like someone has just 'bunged on' Belgian badges to add authenticity, but I may be wrong.

The beret illustrated by sabrigade is certainly a Belgian 2nd bn of Commandos. Some personelle from this unit served as mercenaries and continued to wear the same badge.

Here's mine. Late 1940s - 1950s type:

---

Traist - your badge is the Force Publique Badge. Not mercenary, but for Belgian "indigenous troops". Looks like a wartime or early post war type.

Here's a picture of the same badge in use 1940-1:

Last edited by Brigade Piron; 19-08-12 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Updated pic link
Old 23-07-12, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigade Piron View Post
I'm not sure about the tunic posted by tynesideirish. The badge on the right arm is the Belgian army on the Rhine - not the sort of badge worn by members of any Belgian commando or para unit.

I would be very suspicious of that tunic were it offered to me - it looks like someone has just 'bunged on' Belgian badges to add authenticity, but I may be wrong.
No problem I just re posted what I had in my 'file'. The thing is 5 Commando were not a Belgian Para-Commando outfit so any Belgian national fighting for them could have worn anything he fancied, especially if he looked on his time with the Rhine Army with fondness.

However if I had a 5 Commando badged Smock / shirt, I certainly wouldn't be adding erroneous Belgian badges that had nothing to do with it, as it does not add to the authenticity. Therefore to my mind if it's on there it had always been on there. We will never know.
Old 23-07-12, 09:18 PM

No, I see what you mean.

I just find it hard to believe that someone would be that proud of service on the Rhine (given that most of the soldiers there were conscripts), and also that the unit was comprised of rather more impressive former paratroopers, commandos etc.

I also would question whether there were many mercenaries in 5 COMMANDO that did not have background in elite units in Belgium and elsewhere.

BP
Old 23-07-12, 09:52 PM

Quote:
that the unit was comprised of rather more impressive former paratroopers, commandos etc.

I also would question whether there were many mercenaries in 5 COMMANDO that did not have background in elite units in Belgium and elsewhere.

BP
History and Mike Hoare has shown us that there were actually very few 'elite' or even ex professional soldiers, those that were being the Officer /SNCO's. With the vast majority of other ranks having basic or no military service. That being the case, an ex conscript from the Rhine Army would have felt and in the case of skills, be extremely superior to most of his unit. It only worked so well due to the very good command skills shown. As contrasted by the shambles 'Colonel' Callan had in the future, with better soldiers but very poor megalomaniac leaders.
Old 24-07-12, 09:52 AM

Quote:

The beret illustrated by sabrigade is certainly a Belgian 2nd bn of Commandos. Some personelle from this unit served as mercenaries and continued to wear the same badge.

Here's mine. Late 1940s - 1950s type:

---

Traist - your badge is the Force Publique Badge. Not mercenary, but for Belgian "indigenous troops". Looks like a wartime or early post war type.

Here's a picture of the same badge in use 1940-1:
Hi, Thank you for the info. Maybe they had a pile of these badges and just gave them out to this group. This was definetly his badge, and he was a white Dutch national residing in South Africa. Nothing is ever simple. Regards Andrew
Old 24-07-12, 09:37 PM

Andrew

Have to agree with you, better to have a Belgium badge than no badge at all. It would have also been recognisable as well to many of the locals.

Grew up with a mate who's dad served in the Belgium Congo with the civil service. As a teenager his father had been in the Belgium Resistance, spent many an afternoon lisening to old man Mortier tell us war stories, sadly he passed on a few years back.

Brian
Old 25-07-12, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi, Thank you for the info. Maybe they had a pile of these badges and just gave them out to this group. This was definetly his badge, and he was a white Dutch national residing in South Africa. Nothing is ever simple. Regards Andrew
Souvenir? It certainly would not have been worn by any mercenary (the FP were not the most loved of colonial forces), but, if one was looking for a souvenir from one's stay there...?
Old 25-07-12, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Souvenir? It certainly would not have been worn by any mercenary (the FP were not the most loved of colonial forces), but, if one was looking for a souvenir from one's stay there...?
This will forever be a mystery. He said it was his badge, but he passed away a few years ago, so can't check either way. Thanks for the info anyway. Regards Andrew
Old 25-07-12, 06:16 PM

Food for thought?
Old 26-07-12, 06:43 AM

So anything goes? Who said that it would be easy to work out?
Old 26-07-12, 09:37 AM

So for those collecting to Mercenaries, there are no rules any insignia, available at the time, is correct!.....Ill stick to QVC, at least there is some documentation!

Cheers
Jim
Old 26-07-12, 12:39 PM

Well, that's what makes it fun, I suppose. Belgian cap badges, like the ones indicated, will never be that expensive!

BTW, there is someone selling what they claim to be Hoare's personal epaulette on an auction site. Mucho dinero. I have a mind to make one myself...