British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-04-19, 01:12 PM

Default Commercially produced SAS wings?

Hi folks

I'm sure none of the pictured wings were ever issued but were they ever worn?

The two middle ones are silver on Rifle Green.

The last one I have no idea about, is it just a fantasy item?

Cheers
Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.0 KB, 103 views)
Old 24-04-19, 09:57 PM

Nothing?
Old 25-04-19, 05:28 PM

In my opinion the two camo ones are duff - UKSF don’t wear wings on camouflage uniforms. The two middle ones could be genuine RGJ/ Rifles issue and the bottom one could be for any red uniform - mess dress or Full Dress but, for those uniforms, I would expect them to be in gold and silver bullion, so I’m not keen on it - nasty shade of red too! Just my opinion.......😀
Old 25-04-19, 05:41 PM

Hi Colin,
Thanks for your views I agree the red backed one would bullion if it was for mess kit or Blues.
The two subdued versions I thought even if not worn by the Regiment wouldn't preclude those that have served and are back with their parent Regiment putting them up on combats perhaps, As the wings are worn In perpetuity.
Regards
Sean
Old 26-04-19, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper533 View Post
Hi Colin,
Thanks for your views I agree the red backed one would bullion if it was for mess kit or Blues.
The two subdued versions I thought even if not worn by the Regiment wouldn't preclude those that have served and are back with their parent Regiment putting them up on combats perhaps, As the wings are worn In perpetuity.
Regards
Sean
Normally, those who do return to their parent unit wear the BPC wings.

Bottom red one looks like an Andrew Butler reproduction.
Old 26-04-19, 06:26 PM

BPC ?
Old 26-04-19, 06:33 PM

Basic Para Course.......just dawned on me, you surprise me Tommo, as there are many photos of ex SAS albeit officers wearing SAS wings on all forms of dress from Guards officers on Tunic Order to Generals in combats. Also I thought the wings were worn in perpetuity....am I wrong?
We had an ex trooper in my Engineer Squadron that still wore standard SAS wings on DPM combats in the 80's and still wore his stablebelt until being continually bollocked by the RSM when ever their paths crossed.
Old 26-04-19, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Wings no matter what pattern once earned are an entitlement. However people choose not to wear them in combat dress for OPSEC reasons. Sometimes basic para wings are worn instead. I don't think that any of the 5 shown in post 1 would be worn.

However in my experience they are generally always worn on Mess Kit and No 1 Dress. Senior Officers have different PERSEC issues so have no concern about wearing SF wings in day-to-day dress.

Last edited by Alan O; 26-04-19 at 07:29 PM.
Old 27-04-19, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper533 View Post
We had an ex trooper in my Engineer Squadron that still wore standard SAS wings on DPM combats in the 80's and still wore his stablebelt until being continually bollocked by the RSM when ever their paths crossed.
He would be entitled to wear an appropriate locket with his RE stable belt. The RSM should have known that.
I served with an ex 23 guy, he wore an airborne locket with his stable belt and standard jump wings.
Old 27-04-19, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
He would be entitled to wear an appropriate locket with his RE stable belt. The RSM should have known that.
I served with an ex 23 guy, he wore an airborne locket with his stable belt and standard jump wings.
On most uniforms except MTP, the SAS wings continue to be worn, on combats it's BPC or none, same goes for SFC's.

Funny you should mention that, along with others who wear the 3 Div or 4 Bde buckles at work, I wear my 16AA buckle and I'm continuously picked up for it as it's my former cap badge not my current one.