British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-03-19, 01:44 PM

Default Feild service cap colour?

Hi all, just after a little help if any can, I’m after the colour of a Middlesex Regiment OR’s Field Service Cap.I have looked high and low for my little book on the subject from the MHS but it’s gone can’t find it I know I had it but not now , probably find one of my grandchildren has used it for a colouring book anyway I’m checking on the colour if anyone can help, was it a dark blue or black FSC with yellow piping just to the top seams ? I’ve looked else where for information this but nowt I can see so any information much appreciated.
Thanks

Gerard
Old 13-03-19, 02:05 PM

A quick check of two booklets ("1937 Coloured Field Service Caps" and "Regimental Badges and Service Caps") shows:

Dark blue with yellow top and top piping and yellow peak with yellow edge piping, no piping on the curtains.

"Coloured Field Service Caps Infantry, MHS Special Number 2002 says:

Officer's c1939-58, lemon yellow peak and crown, dark blue body and curtain. Edges of crown and front and back seams piped with yellow felt tubular braid. Badge silver officer's pattern. Buttons yellow metal with white metal PoW's plume, "ALBUHERA" ribbon and laurel branches.

A photo of Lt Col AW Hill c1900 in "The Black and White Budget" shows a universal FFSC of all one colour with seams of crown piped with braid. Badge and buttons of regimental pattern.

3rd Bn c1907 dark blue cap with seams of crown and peak piped with gold, tubular braid, badge regimental issue, buttons brass GS pattern.

2nd Middlesex (South Middlesex) Rifle Volunteers Officer's Universal CFSC all of dark grey, with red cord boss at front between peak and crown. Badge a smaller pattern of the pouch badge presumably also of silver metal for officers worn on left side. Buttons silver with a string bugle horn with "2" between strings, the whole encircled "SOUTH MIDDLESEX. RIFLE VOLUNTEERS". (FROM THE MHS Bulletin August 1955, Vol 1, February 1957, Vol VII and August 1990, Vol 41.

12th Middlesex (Civil Service) Volunteer Rifle Corps, The Prince of Wales's Own "I" Cyclist Company, Torin cap, Other Ranks, c1881-1890's, a photograph (Army Museum's Ogilvy Trust) portrays a cap with darker curtains than the body and crown. Seams of curtains, body and crown piped with white felt tubular braid. Possibly blue curtains, silver grey body and crown. With a woven regimental badge ondark backing. Probably white silk on blue backing

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 13-03-19 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Detail added.
Old 13-03-19, 03:45 PM

in tandem with Leigh's post, regimental badges has this image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg middlesex regiment.jpg (63.1 KB, 15 views)

Jerry