British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-09-10, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Recce, The discussion is drifting into pedantic detail. The fact that 24 to 48 hours has passed is based upon working days, not calendar days.The thread appears to have moved past information. There isn't much to be gained by flogging a dead horse.
Posts should add to the discussion rather than debate minuté. Some important information and advice has been posted, and it is there for the benefit of all. Should individual issues arise, like the Black Watch Spring document, the advice has been given and the matter should be pursued off Forum. And, please note, LAC is not the repository in question for the Spring document. The document web host appears to be DND. Complaints should be directed their way.
Those who have posted on this thread have the expertise to find the material they are seeking. It is a matter of "learning the ropes", and getting advice to expedite the search. Some of the posters, including yourself, have been using the LAC for a considerable time and, even when there is an official process, dealing with the bureaucracy of a large institution can result in all kinds of unexpected outcomes. What was true for one research request at one time may be completely different the next. Sometimes contradictory explanations has come from staff at the institution. By discussing the access to the LAC, and research processes, the thread hopefully will keep the wrinkles out of the task. Nothing worse than making a special trip, only to find nothing is available.
Old 13-09-10, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Recce, The discussion is drifting into pedantic detail. The fact that 24 to 48 hours has passed is based upon working days, not calendar days.The thread appears to have moved past information. There isn't much to be gained by flogging a dead horse.
Posts should add to the discussion rather than debate minuté. Some important information and advice has been posted, and it is there for the benefit of all. Should individual issues arise, like the Black Watch Spring document, the advice has been given and the matter should be pursued off Forum. And, please note, LAC is not the repository in question for the Spring document. The document web host appears to be DND. Complaints should be directed their way.
Those who have posted on this thread have the expertise to find the material they are seeking. It is a matter of "learning the ropes", and getting advice to expedite the search. Some of the posters, including yourself, have been using the LAC for a considerable time and, even when there is an official process, dealing with the bureaucracy of a large institution can result in all kinds of unexpected outcomes. What was true for one research request at one time may be completely different the next. Sometimes contradictory explanations has come from staff at the institution. By discussing the access to the LAC, and research processes, the thread hopefully will keep the wrinkles out of the task. Nothing worse than making a special trip, only to find nothing is available.
Therefore this is my last post on this thread. I'll keep it informative and the Reports are also found at LAC not just DND.

This is true many unexpected outcomes learning the ropes, whoever with the proper Guidance one can avoid complications and ++++.

Like Parking, Warning if you Park at the LAC your only allowed 3hrs. You stay longer you will have problems finding your Car Lol. There's Parking available 3 blocks down if I remember correctly that you can park the hole Day or Opening and closing Hrs of the LAC.

Photocopiers are available in some of the reference and consultation rooms allowing you to make copies from published documents (books, newspapers, magazines, etc.). For preservation reasons, archival documents (contained in cardboard boxes) fragile and rare books cannot be copied at the self-serve photocopier station.

Microform printers and scanners are available in the Microform Consultation Room allowing you to print or scan images from microfilm and microfiche. The scanned images can be downloaded to an USB key or CD. You have to supply your own USB keys or CD.

Camera: you can use your own camera in the research facilities to obtain copies of the collection material. You will have to complete a Self-Serve Photography Application and obtain the authorization from staff. This service is available during service and opening hours, however, authorization from a staff member can only be obtained during service hours.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/c...10-5010-e.html
Old 14-09-10, 03:20 PM

Hi Bill,

In the spirit of providing information and helping other would-be researchers out there who are visiting the LAC I want to report that it is possible for requests to be turned around in a 24hr period as I have received this morning the below confirmation that all requested items are now on site.

Good morning Mr Kennelly,
The items requested below are now on hand and ready to be viewed at 395 Wellington, 3rd floor in the consultation room. Upon your visit, see a staff member from the consultation office who will retrieve the boxes for you. They will remain available to be retrieved from us until October 22nd 2010.
Please let me know if you require anything further.
Thank you,
Suzanne

I want to thank all who have contributed to this thread...believe me I am going to be much better prepared for my visit next week had I not posted my question. I will be first thing Monday ordering my next 10 items as Clive has advised with the Hope that they will be on site Tuesday morning.

Best as always,
Mike Kennelly
Old 14-09-10, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mike, One last suggestion. Figure out some way of recording references for the docs / images that you take. The photocopies taken at LAC were usually stamped on the back of one of the sheets and pertinent information was written in for the appropriate reference. With a digital camera, my understanding is that the onus is completely on the researcher to keep a record of the pertinent reference.
Hoping to see images of all kinds of shoulder titles...
Old 14-09-10, 07:52 PM

Smile

Hi Bill,

I will do my best to record the references for the documents/pictures for both my future reference and anyone else who might be interested. I am hoping to find a lot of great Pictures including those with Shoulder Titles clearly displayed
Old 15-09-10, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Mike, One last suggestion. Figure out some way of recording references for the docs / images that you take. The photocopies taken at LAC were usually stamped on the back of one of the sheets and pertinent information was written in for the appropriate reference. With a digital camera, my understanding is that the onus is completely on the researcher to keep a record of the pertinent reference.
Hoping to see images of all kinds of shoulder titles...
Bill,

It is required by LAC that every photo include the archival reference. To help the researcher comply with this they supply small slips of paper with their logo and disclaimer on private use only. These are more often ignored than followed. I tend to be lazy and satisfy myself with taking a photo of the box data which gives RG number and Volume number. The drawback is that it doesn't give me the file name/number within the box but I don't mind the trade-off.
For photos it is a good idea to take your copy photo and include the negative number found written on the edge of the contact. This number can then be tracked backwards through Archivia for caption data IF it has been digitized and uploaded by LAC. I also take a photo of the top of the page in the red books which usually provide; location, unit, date and photographer.
There are complete captions but the organization at LAC make it impossibkle to refrer to these as you take photos ;o(
Old 29-09-10, 02:33 PM

Hi all,

I just wanted to follow up and thank everyone for their advice and suggestions…it truly made my LAC experience worthwhile. It was a whirlwind experience that I can equate to a kid being in a Toy Store as there was just so much information that I was in sensory overload. I spent roughly 10 hours in the Archives on my first day and 13 hours my second.

There were so many great experiences including:

Seeing my Grandfather’s name in the War Diary on a number of occasions, one of the entries actually contradicts some things in his Service Record.

One of the Commissionaire Guards at LAC and I got chatting late in the evening my first night…it turned out his Father was in the Chaudière’s and we were able to share a number of amazing stories.

I was able to photograph (used up 8 Batteries) well over a 1000 pages of War Diary documents and had the pleasure of watching a 2 hour VHS recording (some of it in colour) of the Regiment from 1939-1943. There are some great Full Colour shots of various Shoulder Title designs and even some with them wearing the Worsted Title. I have asked for the Video to be copied so I may more closely examine and hopefully identify items.

All in all it was a terrific experience and one I will definitely repeat very soon.
The one big obstacle/challenge was accessing the Pictures…although I had all the information I found that aspect of the research difficult as the people in the Special Collections section were not very helpful with their guidance. My next trip I intend on being more prepared for this aspect of my research.

On a final note…my apologies to you Ed for not being able to meet one another…I promise on my next adventure to Ottawa we will definitely connect!

Mike Kennelly
Old 29-09-10, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Good to hear Mike. There are amazing stories hidden in the mountains of information. I would really like to see the shoulder title video when available.
Old 29-09-10, 05:11 PM

Hi Bill,

I will provide you with a copy of the video once LAC provides it. The video itself is quite amazing and it appears to have been filmed in dozens of locations...one of my hopes is to identify some of the landmarks so as to date the various scenes.

Best,
Mike
Old 30-09-10, 01:51 AM

Default LAC Visit

No problem Mike, good to hear that your visit was profitable and we can meet up the next time you are in town.
Old 28-10-10, 06:41 PM

For the first time in months I was able to find some time to visit the infamous CMHQ reports that are on-line at DHH. As Recce stated, Report 150 comes back as a 404 Error. I contacted DND web support through the provided link and they confirmed that the DHH site was still undergoing some problems with certain reports. As I had specified report 150 the DND technician included a PDF copy as an attachment to her e-mail. In other words, within hours of asking for the link to be repaired I had the report on my hard drive.
Recce - if you still need this send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will forward it to you.
Chaudiere - very pleased to hear that you had a successful visit but dismayed at your reception by the Special Collections people. I know many of them and they have always been great with me. Next time you are in town let me know and I will walk over to LAC and provide whatever assistance I can.
To all - LAC will always give you 24 hour service from the time you request a document, in person, to the time you receive the document. The exceptions are documents which are still classified, undergoing preservation or microfilming, or which are still be accessioned.
The 24 hour service standard does not apply when you make the request on-line. This is because there is no staff dedicated to these requests so they are done on an ad hoc basis. In other words, it could be two days before someone opens your e-mail and another couple of days before they find time to complete the request form on your behalf.
As I stated earlier, make an e-mail request for 10 items as early as possible but, once you arrive at the reading room, submit all of your requests (100+) right away. During the summer they may try to limit you to 10-12 at a time but that doesn't mean that you cannot submit 8-10 requests, each with 10-12 items.
You can reserve lockers in the reading room and access these after hours. If you have a 'tall-boy' (a cart capable of transporting 15 double-size archives boxes) a Commissionaire can retrieve this for you and put it away when you are done. You can call up the tall-boy the following night, etc...
bring a camera and charger (or batteries) There are outlets for laptops and cameras at most tables. No flash is permitted but the rules now allow you you to use a tri-pod. You must have a camera strap as they are concerned about your equipment falling on a document and damaging it.
When going to LAC to photograph photos you can satisfy yoursself with a shot of the contact sheet (the 'red' books for the Cdn Army) or you can take note of the negative number and order up the negative which will be delivered within - you guessed it - 24 hours. The exception is nitrate film which is only delivered Thursdays. With the Negative in hand you can use an LAC light table and take a proper copy negative. If your camera has a 'negative' setting then you will actually see a positive image in your view finder. Many photos which appear in my books are sourced this way.
In any event, ask questions of the staff and enjoy yourselves.
Clive

(Bill, maybe an edit of portions of this and a 'sticky' on how to research at LAC?)
Old 28-10-10, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Good idea Clive. A sticky or page somewhere on researching insignia.
Old 30-10-10, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
For the first time in months I was able to find some time to visit the infamous CMHQ reports that are on-line at DHH. As Recce stated, Report 150 comes back as a 404 Error. I contacted DND web support through the provided link and they confirmed that the DHH site was still undergoing some problems with certain reports. As I had specified report 150 the DND technician included a PDF copy as an attachment to her e-mail. In other words, within hours of asking for the link to be repaired I had the report on my hard drive.
Recce - if you still need this send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will forward it to you.
Chaudiere - very pleased to hear that you had a successful visit but dismayed at your reception by the Special Collections people. I know many of them and they have always been great with me. Next time you are in town let me know and I will walk over to LAC and provide whatever assistance I can.
To all - LAC will always give you 24 hour service from the time you request a document, in person, to the time you receive the document. The exceptions are documents which are still classified, undergoing preservation or microfilming, or which are still be accessioned.
The 24 hour service standard does not apply when you make the request on-line. This is because there is no staff dedicated to these requests so they are done on an ad hoc basis. In other words, it could be two days before someone opens your e-mail and another couple of days before they find time to complete the request form on your behalf.
As I stated earlier, make an e-mail request for 10 items as early as possible but, once you arrive at the reading room, submit all of your requests (100+) right away. During the summer they may try to limit you to 10-12 at a time but that doesn't mean that you cannot submit 8-10 requests, each with 10-12 items.
You can reserve lockers in the reading room and access these after hours. If you have a 'tall-boy' (a cart capable of transporting 15 double-size archives boxes) a Commissionaire can retrieve this for you and put it away when you are done. You can call up the tall-boy the following night, etc...
bring a camera and charger (or batteries) There are outlets for laptops and cameras at most tables. No flash is permitted but the rules now allow you you to use a tri-pod. You must have a camera strap as they are concerned about your equipment falling on a document and damaging it.
When going to LAC to photograph photos you can satisfy yoursself with a shot of the contact sheet (the 'red' books for the Cdn Army) or you can take note of the negative number and order up the negative which will be delivered within - you guessed it - 24 hours. The exception is nitrate film which is only delivered Thursdays. With the Negative in hand you can use an LAC light table and take a proper copy negative. If your camera has a 'negative' setting then you will actually see a positive image in your view finder. Many photos which appear in my books are sourced this way.
In any event, ask questions of the staff and enjoy yourselves.
Clive

(Bill, maybe an edit of portions of this and a 'sticky' on how to research at LAC?)

I second Mr Bills comment, Whoever a few weeks ago I sent A PM To Mr Bill, I contacted LAC by @ and in 2 hrs I got a reply It also depends on how many request they get.

Mr Clive Are you Joking,Lol You got It, Hum Is it Appendix A? is 14 pages, how many pages over 100?. I sent an @ to DHH they replied as always for years same thing. I'll send you My @ I went to the Web Site after what you stated and when I click to download I got the 404 Error, again.

Quote:
Thank you for visiting the Canadian Forces website and for taking the time to write to us with your observations regarding accessing an on-line document.

The Directorate of History and Heritage (DHH) website, on whose pages your document resides, is down for maintenance, and naturally would have encountered problems. Please do as Public Inquiries Desk is doing: attempting to access DHH pages periodically.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Regards,
A.Tom
Public Inquiries Desk/Bureau des demandes de renseignements du public
ADM(PA) / SMA(AP)
DND/MDN
Tel./tél: 613-995-2534
Fax/télécopieur: 613-992-4739
Email/courriel: information@forces.gc.ca
Web: www.forces.gc.ca