British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-05-19, 11:33 AM

Default 14th Y.V.C. Royal Irish Rifles

Hi all have just acquired this badge and most grateful to Wilf for allowing me to obtain it from him, he also pointed out just what sets apart the genuine from the copy and with some pictures it really does become apparent! I always knew the one I owned was a copy but never thought I would acquire a good one, until now that is! Thanks Wilf!!

Good one to the left in the Crown the Jewels are Diamond shaped on the copy they are just rectangular, also put up the all brass version and so much like the copy (had this on Forum before and 50 - 50 as to real or wrong?) If someone has a genuine example and could kindly load it up to compare that would be great!

Anyone wanting a copy of the 14th RIR am willing to take offers But! Not the good one!! (Joking)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190512_121311-1.jpg (116.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 20190512_121322-1.jpg (89.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20190512_121328-1.jpg (96.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20190512_121412-1.jpg (84.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 20190512_121420-1.jpg (117.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20190512_121457-1.jpg (106.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 12-05-19, 11:51 AM

Nice badge.

Brass one is definitely a copy from the same fake die as the dud WM badge.

Only ever seen two genuine GM ones, they’re even rarer than the WM version which is rare in itself.

Think I recall one of the good GM badges is shown in a thread on the forum... however finding threads related to this unit is a near impossible given the different names for the badge and all the possible abbreviations - many of which are too short to use in the search function.
Old 12-05-19, 12:39 PM

I have to say that was slightly surprised to read that, fifty percent split either way, I would have thought from the photograph there could be absolutely no doubt whatsoever, that it was spurious.
The white metal badge used to be reasonably easy to get hold of, twenty five years ago, but, these days, certainly the reverse is the case, I don't think that I have ever handled a brass one that I would have been happy to say was original and of course now, I doubt if I ever will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post

also put up the all brass version and so much like the copy (had this on Forum before and 50 - 50 as to real or wrong?)
Old 12-05-19, 03:11 PM

Hi Frank against the good one and the w/m copy the all brass is not looking good! when I only had this badge and queried it on the Forum had replies which never gave a deffinate answer it was either Wrong or I had some personal mail saying it was fine? Left me same place as I started but think its pretty obvious now that its not good!
Old 13-05-19, 06:54 AM

No it's not good and there are just so many fakes around, I suppose it is an attractive badge to the eye and because it's an Irish one, they will always be sought after, but, I do think any original is worth having, I can remember a time when forty five quid would have bought one, happy days, sadly, now long gone.
Old 13-05-19, 05:56 PM

Frank I wouldn't mind picking one up for £45, wouldn't mind picking one up sometime in the future but not going to hold my breath! If it appears fine and some gems do come around! Many thanks Billy