British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-09-17, 11:10 AM

On his first day in the bays in 1947 An old friend of mine was ordered to have his badge looking like his sergeants for the next morning, being a badge collector himself he said it broke my heart to have to go and buy 6 boxes of matches and take off near all the detail from the front of his brand spanking new cap badge, so personally I would think that mods like this to badges and equipment could be down to those who may be in charge at the time as their own preference.
Old 12-09-17, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

I was about to say how about KDG and the removal of the shield on the eagle's chest.
Old 12-09-17, 11:58 AM

Smile Modified glengarry abadges

Some Scottish badges such as the Black Watch/Glasgow Highlanders are found with the lower part of the star cut off which I have found out on the forum was for them to have been worn lower down on the Glengarry.

Rob
Old 12-09-17, 12:11 PM

I doubt any of these modifications were approved at any level and without any evidence it is probably foolhardy to speculate that this was done by serving soldiers, when I joined you were issued two badges, 1 for best and the other for working, you still got inspected in working dress and if you or any of your kit was not up to scratch you got extra's or were bounced, and as any older soldier will tell you it was tougher when they were in.
Paul
Old 12-09-17, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I was about to say how about KDG and the removal of the shield on the eagle's chest.
Similar with RSG & RSDG, removal of the wreath on the eagles chest.
Old 12-09-17, 01:16 PM

It's a handful of badges that you find which have been rubbed down wether done by old sweats or not, the complete badges of every Regt far outweigh the manipulated ones you find by well over 99.9%
Yes, some badges show signs of wear and are acceptable but not to the extent were they have been damaged or taken beyond recognition.
Pretty pointless having pattern cards and dress regulations if the badge of the Regiment/Corps you serve with is going to be messed with.
Paul
Old 12-09-17, 01:38 PM

Cool Plastic Leicesters

I have a plastic Leicestershire Regt cap badge with the top "Hindoostan" scroll cut off very neatly, this has been mentioned on the forum before and I wondered whether this could have been worn by a Leicestershire T.A. soldier.

The opinion when I mentioned it was that it was complete vandalism, but as many have said with badge collecting "never say never".

Rob
Old 12-09-17, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I have a plastic Leicestershire Regt cap badge with the top "Hindoostan" scroll cut off very neatly, this has been mentioned on the forum before and I wondered whether this could have been worn by a Leicestershire T.A. soldier.

The opinion when I mentioned it was that it was complete vandalism, but as many have said with badge collecting "never say never".

Rob
Rob,
With the Leicestershire Regt Territorial Badge being obsolete approximately 25 years before the introduction of the plastic economy version, it is safe to say it most likely snapped by accident rather than removed by a TA soldier for wear.
Paul

Last edited by Paul Spellman; 12-09-17 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-09-17, 06:02 PM

Smile TA Leicester

Paul, this was put forward in my first posting, yes, I can see all the reasons apart from the fact is why was it so neatly done.

Rob
Old 13-09-17, 10:14 AM

Perhaps for no other reason than making a broken badge look a bit neater.
Old 13-09-17, 10:23 AM

That seems to be it to me.
Old 14-09-17, 10:50 AM

The Middlesex Regt plastic economy with trimmed scrolls I mentioned in a previous post.
The scroll ends are neatly trimmed rather than broken, I took this damage to be deliberate, to neaten the badge up following an accidental breakage, or done in order to make the badge "fit" a display or something like that.
With a little bit more trimming & a more pronounced notch cut in the ends of the scroll the result could have been more like an undamaged badge
The marks on the back are from being glued to card or paper at some time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (50.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (27.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 15-09-17, 05:55 PM

Default Trimmed plastic badges

There really is no reason why any of these badges were cut down, possibly as they were regarded as "poor relations" of the bi-metal badges, maybe as said to fit in somewhere, although where is anyone's guess.

One of the mysteries that makes badge collection the hobby it is . . !

Rob
Old 16-09-17, 01:33 AM

Default North Staffs

On the subject of vandalism to badges:
The Royal Malta Artillery snapped off the QC from their gun badge after Don Mintoff took control of the island.

I'm also been told/ read somewhere it was obligatory for recruits at the RAC Training Regt to polish their RAC cap badges so that the rivets were smooth on the front. Of course, once they passed out and were posted they would have been rebadged.

Stephen.
Old 16-09-17, 05:33 AM

Had you passed through 1 RTB at Wagga Wagga NSW in the pre-anodised badge era you would have seen the new intakes religiously pouring Brasso on the backing of their floor mats each evening in order to render their belt brasses and hat badges as smooth and shiny as possible on the abrasive surface. Not to do so in the case of hat badges led to unwelcome attention from your platoon staff!