British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-12-20, 05:43 AM

Default RCAF Casualties 1942.

I have searched various sites to find particulars of the circumstances surrounding the deaths of two RCAF pilots. I find it most frustrating trying to navigate these sites and even to find that when I did get near to the truth, I found conflicting entries. The first was in reference to Sgt. Pilot John Montieth Hubbert. Service No. R66086. KIA 22/23 April 1942. Crash of a Wellington (1X Sqn., RAF) at Sapiston, Suffolk. Parents were named and listed as residing in St. Catharines Canada. on one site he was listed as R.N.Z.A.F. Along with another member of the crew who WAS a New Zealander and listed as such.
The most distressing search I have attempted and failed is that concerning F/Sgt R.N.Langley Service No. R 62755. His CWGC headstone states date of death as 24 February, 1942 aged 24. For some reason I cannot even find where he was from or who his next of kin were. Who he was a pilot with, or which Air Force or if killed in action. I found a date of death difference between sites as the grave marker states 24 Feb. and another sites lists 12 Feb. as the D.oD. Would anyone care to shed light on Sgt/Pilot Langley for me please. I have visited his gravesite twice on past Remembrance Days, and laid a Canadian Poppy/Cross there when visiting my home town of Hornchurch, Essex (UK) Best regards to all, David J.
Old 19-12-20, 08:16 PM

Is this your man?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg langley2.jpg (102.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 19-12-20, 08:18 PM

And this piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg langley.jpg (71.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 19-12-20, 10:58 PM

X111, Yes, That does appear to be the Langley I was looking for. How you ever did that is a mystery to me. So, died of injuries, 12th Feb., after an operational flying accident. An American by Birth but living in Quebec. Vague K of K details. Little chance of tracking any living relatives. I was hoping to send photo’s of a well kept grave site and a short story of my appreciation for his sacrifice. Still leaves a question as to why 24th Feb. on grave marker. Thank you again X111. Best regards, David J.
Old 19-12-20, 11:00 PM

There are a few more pages that I will look at for any additional family details.
Old 20-12-20, 10:20 AM

I have had another look on Ancestry and his entire record is there. I have picked out the pages that will probably interest you the most.
Old 20-12-20, 07:50 PM

Thank you so much X111, That certainly rounds out the story a little more. It appears that Sgt/Pilot Langley was flying a Miles Magister out of Croydon (in Kent) when he crashed in Upminster (Essex). Taken to OLDCHURCH HOSPITAL in Romford (Essex) where he succumbed to his injuries.. This hospital was renowned for it’s treatment facilities to Injured airmen. It is just a few miles from RAF North Wield and RAF Hornchurch which of course were front line fighter stations during WW11. Please see the PM I have sent you. Sincerely, David J.
Old 21-12-20, 04:51 PM

Hi David I hope you received my last PM?. I have attached this page as it states he was ferrying planes from Lossiemouth to Croydon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg langley0.jpg (67.3 KB, 7 views)