British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-11-19, 01:58 PM

Default WWII RCAF AG

Can someone help me identify the ribbons and badges in this photo? I know he was in the RCAF but that’s where my knowledge ends. Any assistance appreciated. Katie
Old 06-11-19, 09:49 PM

Hi There!
1939-1945 star and the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal (CVSM) with overseas device.

He also wears an Operational Tours wing on the pleat of his pocket, signifying a completed tour of duty. Beautiful colour portrait!
Old 07-11-19, 01:02 AM

Hi Mike

No necessarily true. Depending on when the photo was taken, the first ribbon is for the 1939-1943 Star.

Authorized in July 1943, only the ribbon was sent out beginning at the end of 1943. By March 1944, 1.6 million were issued/worn. It did not become the 1939-1945 Star until May 1945. Then the committee set it as the later date as plans went forward to actually produce and issue the actual medals.

With it and the CVSM ribbons only present, I'd say a wartime photo as there is no Air Crew Europe or France Germany star ribbons yet, as well as no Defence medal. With the Ops badge, there is no question one or more of them would have been earned. All them came after the May '45 Committee announcement. 1939-1945 War medal was a few months later. Granted it could be that late 1945 period after the announcement was there but the ribbons for them weren't out yet.

Katie, do you know who is in the image?

regards
Darrell
Old 07-11-19, 01:12 AM

Regardless of the technicality of date the ribbon is the exact same for both. Besides the authorization for the CVSM was October of 1943 so this photo was likely taken sometime in 1944 onwards.
Old 08-11-19, 07:04 PM

Thank you gentlemen. Your comments are most informative. The photo is of my nephew's grandfather and I am assisting him with his family tree. He doesn't have much info on his grandfather, Jack. I wish the photo showed more of his uniform so we could possibly see his rank insignia.

As the WWII records are still locked, I was trying to ascertain information about his time in the war by using this photo. It is one of a pair, likely done at the same time. The other is of his wife which bares the inscription With Love, Ruby. I simply love the photo and together with the other they bring to mind a story of wartime romance. There were heroes on all sides of the war - in battle and at home.

I believe you are right about the time frames, it definitely makes sense especially as he is not wearing the Defence medal ribbon.
Old 11-11-19, 09:26 AM

That is a truly magnificent portrait, certainly one of the best I've seen recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Tisdall View Post
Thank you gentlemen. Your comments are most informative. The photo is of my nephew's grandfather and I am assisting him with his family tree. He doesn't have much info on his grandfather, Jack. I wish the photo showed more of his uniform so we could possibly see his rank insignia.

As the WWII records are still locked, I was trying to ascertain information about his time in the war by using this photo. It is one of a pair, likely done at the same time. The other is of his wife which bares the inscription With Love, Ruby. I simply love the photo and together with the other they bring to mind a story of wartime romance. There were heroes on all sides of the war - in battle and at home.

I believe you are right about the time frames, it definitely makes sense especially as he is not wearing the Defence medal ribbon.