British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-01-17, 09:11 AM

Default Unknown medal

Dear Gentlemen,

I'd need your help to identify the following medal please. Ribbon's colors are blue, white and red. Any clue?
Thank you very much.
Phil

Old 29-01-17, 01:15 PM

It looks American. It might be a state -- as distinct from federal -- award or a private medal from a society of some kind. The badge looks as though it was inspired by the Legion of Merit.

Arthur
Old 29-01-17, 02:09 PM

Thanks Arthur. I had thought about the LoM inspiration though the ribbon itself is similar to the one of the National Society of Patriotic Women of America. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again
Old 29-01-17, 02:17 PM

One clue may be in the shield below the eagle. It may contain the seal of a specific state in the US.
Old 07-02-17, 10:01 PM

Eventually, I've managed to identify it! It is the New York State Excelsior medal !

A very similar one was presented to Brigadier General Avery Delano Andrews on the occasion of his first retirement from active service by General Theodore Roosevelt, his commanding general and Governor of New York.

BG Andrews served as a Major & Staff Engineer, 1st Brigade, National Guard of New York from 1893-98, and as Commanding Officer, Squadron A, National Guard of New York 1898-99. He retired on 1 January 1900 and was reactivated to serve in WWI as a Colonel of Engineers in 1917, and Brigadier General serving in a number of positions until his second retirement in 1919.