British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-12, 01:31 PM

Default Leicestershire Badges

Hello All,

I recently bought this Leicestershire brass badge, but have some reservations about it. I have looked in the Albums and Gallery for comparison and found one in the Leicestershire Regiment Album by mooke07 - very similar to 6th & 7th images on first page, which is listed as a presumed restrike. Mine has the same voided tail & pointed front to grass above L in Leicestershire and similar narrow lettering. I cannot see anything similar in 'Ticker's' ‘Tiger’ album.
The badge overall is almost identical to another one I have, second badge shown, which I have posted on a previous thread and was identified by 'Ticker' as most likely a Gladman & Norman ‘Owl Eye’ variation.
The badge is quite firm and appears to have some age – any comments welcome,

Thanks in advance – Alan Y.

Leicestershire 1.JPG Leicestershire 2.JPG Leicestershire 3.JPG Leicestershire 4.jpg Leicestershire 5.JPG

Last edited by Alan Y; 18-02-12 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Name change at members request
Old 19-02-12, 03:54 PM

Default ‘Owl-eyed’ Tigers

Hi Alan

Sorry I didn’t put up a reply to your posting before now, but I needed to photograph some of my badges first. Anyway, yes I think your latest badge is indeed the exact same maker’s type as your other one, and which I personally believe is the design style/type made by Gladman & Norman. When I first started collecting Leicesters badges a couple of years ago I was warned off these ‘owl-eyed’ tiger badges, mainly because you can pick them up brand new on ebay and through various other military surplus/badge sites. I’m afraid my opinion about them being modern repros has merely become reinforced since then, especially after I bought this small carded collection last year:

As you should be able to see all but one of these badges, the all-brass TF one, are the same maker’s type. The interesting thing is that most of them have marked sliders to three different manufactures, all of which I believe are fake: “Lambourne & Co. Birmingham”, “Smith & Wight Ltd Birmingham” and “Butler 48 Victoria St Birmingham”. I’ll attach photos of backs of three of the above badges with these different marks so you can see, but it should be obvious that all the marks are in a very similar front with what look to be the same proportions to the lettering. I personally think it would be impossible for three different makers to produce badges of exactly the same style/type, and am therefore convinced the slider marks are fake. I would, however, draw short of claiming that the manufacturer of these badges also put the fake marks on them, rather I suspect that some unscrupulous person/persons bought these reproduction Leicestershire and Uppingham badges direct from the maker and then stamped the sliders with a variety of marks themselves so as to increase their return. Incidentally I have also seen an example of this type with “Gladman & Norman Spencer St. B’ham” on its slider, but don’t have one myself to directly compare with the fake marks.

Best regards

Martin

P.S. As to the badges in my album – they are just Gaunt’s design type, and I don’t personally believe that Gaunt made an all-brass/gilding metal version; at least I haven’t yet seen one that I thought was genuine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fake Lambourne & Co.jpg (55.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Fake Smith & Wright Ltd.jpg (53.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Fake Butler 48 Victoria St.jpg (51.4 KB, 72 views)

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”
Old 19-02-12, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

I saw about 10 different types of fake badges at Charing Cross market about 6 years ago. They all had such fake markings.
Old 19-02-12, 05:32 PM

Thanks ‘Ticker’ and Alan,

The one in the centre top row looks identical to my all brass one and the one on its right just like the bimetal one, so I think that’s pretty conclusive. I remembered the previous thread where you referred to the maker Gladman & Norman starting to manufacture around WW2, so a brass economy that looked like the same in pattern would definitely be wrong. Thanks for confirming my suspicions about it. Neither of my badges have a name, but the pattern is unmistakable. A great reference set for comparison.

Regards Alan Y.
Old 20-02-12, 01:32 AM

Thanks for a terrific set of Tiger posts gentleman - great to see the restrikes card Martin and yes would be good to see the rear of them, cheers Dean.

Have some more of my own to add to album but will review against yours first.
Old 20-02-12, 01:05 PM

Thanks Dean,

A great album of Leicestershire badges, superb reference images.

Regards Alan Y.

Tags
leicestershire, leicestershire regiment