British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-05-21, 08:05 AM

Default HM Prison Service cloth patch rank stripes

Good morning

This is one for our "Prison" collectors, an overseas collector has just posted an enquiry on a Facebook police patch page concerning the different coloured stripes on a couple of patches he has:

One patch has a blue strip across the bottom, the other has 2 thinner silver stripes. Presumably these represent different ranks and/or branches? Do any others exist?

As always any help will be greatly appreciated

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 30-05-21, 04:36 PM

Hello Graham,

The blue strip once meant OSG grade (Operation Support Grade), but they now have no stripes at all. OSG's now wear epaulets with a crown at the top with 'HM Prison Service' beneath and their individual three-digit shoulder number at the bottom. This number is prefixed with two specific letters according to which jail they work in.

Single silver stripe is a Prison Officer
Two silver stripes is a Supervising Officer
Three silver stripes is a Custodial Manager
Then they wear suits...

Hope this helps,

Paul.

Last edited by Belfin; 30-05-21 at 04:45 PM.
Old 30-05-21, 05:10 PM

Thank you Paul, I'll pass that on to the enquirer.

If I may ask a further question, he has a patch with "SG###" over "NDTSG". Another on the thread has stated that “NDTSG” is the National Dog and Technical Support Group, would that then mean the "SG" prefix stands for "Support Group", rather than a specific prison?

Many thanks again

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 30-05-21, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
Thank you Paul, I'll pass that on to the enquirer.

If I may ask a further question, he has a patch with "SG###" over "NDTSG". Another on the thread has stated that “NDTSG” is the National Dog and Technical Support Group, would that then mean the "SG" prefix stands for "Support Group", rather than a specific prison?

Many thanks again

Graham
You may have to ask someone with more knowledge than me on that one Graham! The forum member 'Yorkstone' is a keen Prison Service collector and knows far more than me on the subject. If no joy, I do have a list on my work computer of all the current prefixes - there are hundreds. I can look next time I'm in (tomorrow night).

Cheers, Paul
Old 30-05-21, 08:27 PM

Hi Paul

The original enquirer adds his thanks to mine for your input, greatly appreciated.

TBH prison insignia is not my forte - the only items in my collection pertain to the Cyrenaica and Eritrea prisons under British administration - but i do like to help other collectors by worrying at a puzzle until an answer is found.

Thanks again

Graham
Old 30-05-21, 09:08 PM

Default badge

Just to muddy the water a little more, prior to the current bar system Pips / Stars denoting Senior Officer & Principal Officers were worn on the 'Tombstone type badge, again with the individuals name number + establishment code letters.
This system has since ceased and only a cloth emblem of the cap badge is worn in the same place.

Regards
Old 31-05-21, 07:15 PM

As you think the answer is yes the NDTSG is a national section that is called in to support operations in all Gaol’s when required.

Also as Destro pointed out Stars were used previously to currant rank badges to denote Rank but bar’s were also used back in the 1960-70’s for the same thing post the Mountbatten review.

Re inventing the wheel!

These are the old & new style bars, worn only on Dress uniform today.

See here
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3400

Regards

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F5462A28-6600-46D4-A5F5-BC92175C18CC.jpg (46.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg E4B6E902-D421-4F20-A053-39C86D96CE2B.jpg (28.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg F47B8015-9141-471E-961E-BA478D368948.jpg (31.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by yorkstone; 31-05-21 at 08:34 PM.