British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-04-19, 04:19 PM

Default Matched pairs or not....

Having recently been branching out into collars and shoulder titles ( by recently I mean over the past 10 years, having collected cap badges for nigh on 40 ),
I used to stick strictly with matching pairs, which understandably suit the collector more often than not.
However, I have been accepting unmatched pairs as of late as well, with the understanding that in actual wear, a soldier would often as not have a pair on his tunic that would likely not be an exact match at all.
One can only imagine a scenario wherein recruit says " but Sarge, my collar dogs are not an exact match"....!
While I still prefer a match, I am no longer adamant about it.

CB
Old 01-04-19, 04:26 PM

My own experience of mismatched collar dogs (anodised aluminium, during the 1970's) was that although having a pair of badges that matched exactly mattered to me, most squaddies didn't care if there were manufacturers differences.
Old 01-04-19, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
My own experience of mismatched collar dogs (anodised aluminium, during the 1970's) was that although having a pair of badges that matched exactly mattered to me, most squaddies didn't care if there were manufacturers differences.
Certainly in my old Regiment you made sure your shoulder title badges were identical (No collar badges I'm afraid) or a quick hour pushing the bumper around the Guardroom would have followed your first inspection!

Simon.
Old 01-04-19, 07:55 PM

Has to be said, matters slightly more in regiments with left and right facing collar badges.
Old 01-04-19, 10:52 PM

Of course in the matter of facing pairs, they would have to match. It is the minuscule differences in makers that I am referring to. Collar badges would of course be the most noticeable upon close inspection, as metal shoulder titles are a little simpler and minute variations would be difficult to notice.
I cant imagine a Quartermaster going through a batch of badges with a magnifying glass trying to match exact pairs of anything.
CB