British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-03-19, 03:21 PM

Default Mensis Mirabilis - Recent Pickups

Despite the title these all actually came in a fortnight of the most outrageous luck I’ve ever experienced collecting. A few of them I thought I’d likely never own.

Like the Oscars I need to thank a few people. Thanks to Keith (popskipa) for all his assistance in my quest for a genuine SAS beret badge. Thank you to David Smith of British Army Badges who put up with badgering and relentless haggling for the QVC RIR. Thanks to Mark (dubaiguy) for his help with the Rutland HG. Last but not least thanks to Keith Blakeman, JT, Alan Owen, Andy (Magpie) who regularly put up with my emails and always kindly give invaluable advice and assistance.

My favourite is the Hackney Battalion (far left), a variant I’ve been seeking for nearly a year.

Last edited by Luke H; 26-03-19 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added sectional photos due to image size limits restricting resolution
Old 26-03-19, 04:24 PM

A Woodward made QRWS badge, you'll get Jelly's pulse racing.
Old 26-03-19, 04:27 PM

Well spotted Phil! It looked rather different when it arrived, absolutely plastered in modern black gloss acrylic paint. JT’s advice was sought on this one before it went in the wife’s nail polish remover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9CF51655-74E2-4432-B366-CB74566389DC.jpg (103.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg E95B0207-0B82-47AC-87C2-AA10EE7DA394.jpg (110.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 26-03-19, 07:31 PM

Well done on your successes this month, Luke, and thanks for showing us your finds. I just hope Mrs. Luke isn’t also a forum member!!

JT

PS - Is your voided KRRC maker-marked?

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 26-03-19 at 07:41 PM.
Old 26-03-19, 08:59 PM

Thanks JT . Haha let’s hope not or I’ll definitely receive a lifetime ban!

Alas no, sadly. But it does have a lovely long slider. The MM’ed ones are: Hood RND (Gaunt); GM Cheshire Yeo (Lambourne); QRWS (Woodward); R.Sussex (Smith & Wright) and; GviR Norfolk Yeo (Firmin).

Particularly happy with the Norfolk’s, nicest and only ever MM’ed one I’ve seen.
Old 27-03-19, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

I can't compete with the volume but this arrived from Toronto yesterday.

I have been after one of these for years. Unlike the ebay fakes it has seeded scrolls and the peculiar brazing holes to the reverse.

The 4th Bn Northamptonshires had a bespoke badge with their South Africa scrolls in 1908. They were a single battalion TF regiment until it raised the 2/1st and 3/1st in WW1.

At some point this blank scrolled version was produced. Whether this was by the TF Association or by the Army when it issued the TF badges in 1916 is not clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001.jpg (66.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 27-03-19, 08:48 AM

Default 4th Bn Northamptonshires

Alan,
I believe there existed an economy version of this badge, I have only seen one about 55 years ago in a box of badges which I later learned was consigned to the dustbin.

Rob
Old 27-03-19, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Rob

I was aware that such a badge existed as it's one of the few TF badges authorised for production in all brass. Now it may be that the badge dates for the 4th Bn between the date in 1916 that the ACD took over the supply of TF insignia from the TF Association and the date for supply in all brass.

Or it may be a 1918 badge for the Volunteer battalions (former VTC) who were authorised to wear the parent battalion badges but without battlehonours.

KLR may know the s/p date which would determine it.
Old 27-03-19, 04:25 PM

Some nice looking badges you've picked up there Like
Old 27-03-19, 08:05 PM

Very nice badge Alan. Yes, all the good ones I’ve seen like yours have unusual square braze holes. Did see one the other week but I baulked at the price being asked, despite it likely being half what a dealer would ask. Needless to say it sold within an hour.

For now I’ll persist in the hope of finding one for a tenner along with a small Tel El K KRRC.

Thanks very much Andy
Old 27-03-19, 08:14 PM

Good buy Alan. I got mine for a similar price on ebay a few years ago but has a shortened slider which is not uncommon. Regards, Paul.
Old 28-03-19, 01:04 AM

Some other examples here, with some good information, especially from Alan.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=41953