British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-08, 02:54 PM

Default Brazing Slots Or Holes

Time to open that old can of worms, the brazing slot. Many of us have bi metal badges constructed by this method, and many repro men are knocking out their latest fakes with these slots or holes. In the cut and thrust of business, tendering for contracts to supply the Army's badges, I find it hard to believe that most manufacturers went to all the trouble of punching out brazing slots in the rear of the badges to allow the braze and the flame to reach the attached metal on the face of the badge, when other manufacturers simply clamped the two things together and applied heat. Or is it the case that modern technology has produced brazes that do not require as much heat ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loyal suffolk 002.jpg (49.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 31-01-08, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean michael cronin View Post
Time to open that old can of worms, the brazing slot. Many of us have bi metal badges constructed by this method, and many repro men are knocking out their latest fakes with these slots or holes. In the cut and thrust of business, tendering for contracts to supply the Army's badges, I find it hard to believe that most manufacturers went to all the trouble of punching out brazing slots in the rear of the badges to allow the braze and the flame to reach the attached metal on the face of the badge, when other manufacturers simply clamped the two things together and applied heat. Or is it the case that modern technology has produced brazes that do not require as much heat ?
I'm not sure you can get away with doing that to braze as I believe that you have to heat the metal and flux to red hot before applying the brazing rod to the metal. With plumbers solder you definently can by tinning (applying a solder coat) to either or both the facing surfaces, re-fluxing, clamping together and then just reheating the rear of the badge.

I can't say I've seen may fakes with sweatholes. Those that spring to mind have all been common ones Essex, Dorsetshire, Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Kings, 3rd Carbs & the Loyal Suffolk Hussars! I may be mistaken and this practice is more widespread than I thought in which case I've probably got a lot more fakes in my collection than I thought.
Old 31-01-08, 08:49 PM

I don't believe the presence of braze holes can gaurentee a badge as genine any more, (after all its pretty easy to punch a couple of holes in the base stamping of a badge) I still think overall condition: quality of stamping; age; wear; metal quality all need to be taken into consideration in a holistic fashion.

If someone wanted to make the perfect fake these days I'm sure they could if there was enough money for them at the end of their deceitful rainbow.

I believe the gold standard would be an assembly of collections assembeled pre 1970s i.e pre restrikes with examples from several different dies for each regimental badge, this would allow a catalogue of dimensions, details plus construction methods which would allow us to weed out most current restrikes. The only trouble is such a works for the collecter would undoubtly be used by the fakers as their bench mark for copying dies.

Personally I think restrikes should actually be ilegal especially any badge with a crown or royal title which should fall under crown copyright and be ilegal to reproduce without permission of the monach... but its too late now by half!

Sorry to sound pessamestic but as restriking dies/methods improve and current decieving strikes gather age how will one tell the difference in future years?

After all that said I still love the hobby and although have packed it in in the past still can't stay away for long as it is a fantastic muse.

Best of luck in our minefield hobby

Luke
Old 01-02-08, 11:16 AM

Sometime ago I purchased The Small Edwardian Version of The South Wales Borderers Badge only to discover when I was informed by a very knowledgeable friend and collector that restrikes existed.
If that was not bad enough he also informed me that another collector friend of his had passed on buying the badge because it did not have brazing holes,and that in his experience a test of the badge was to place it in boiling water and if it was genuine then the badge would remain in one piece had no choice but to take the test and thankfully I still had only one badge and not two.
Has anyone heard of any similar practices/tests?
Regards
Bantam
Old 01-02-08, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantam View Post
Sometime ago I purchased The Small Edwardian Version of The South Wales Borderers Badge only to discover when I was informed by a very knowledgeable friend and collector that restrikes existed.
If that was not bad enough he also informed me that another collector friend of his had passed on buying the badge because it did not have brazing holes,and that in his experience a test of the badge was to place it in boiling water and if it was genuine then the badge would remain in one piece had no choice but to take the test and thankfully I still had only one badge and not two.
Has anyone heard of any similar practices/tests?
Regards
Bantam
Any chance of posting that badge please as it's one of my more wanted and I've never seen one?

Boiling water would seperate parts if joined with low melt solder, the sort used on whitemetal model kits but nothing like plumbers or silver solder which melt at a high temperature. I once had a copy 25th Dragoons in Nitmromors for 24 hours removing some sort of brown coating on it and it came apart, presumably it must have been glued together!
Old 01-02-08, 05:52 PM

Kieth,
I will post a photo over the weekend.I can't help laughing after all the serious debates of late to discover us badge collectors appear to be amateur alchemists as well.
Regrads
Bantam

Last edited by Bantam; 11-04-08 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-02-08, 12:26 PM

Kieth,
Photo of SWB small badge attached to previous message.Await comments!!
I can take it I,m to old to go collecting driftwood.
Regards
Bantam
Old 02-02-08, 12:41 PM

I once posted a question on another forum about different types of braze holes. I've seen them as circular, square and rectangular (sometimes on the same badge). I think the answer was that it depended on the space available on the back of the badge. I also learnt that it was a technological advance that removed the necessity for brazing holes, ie ones without were probably later in date. Though certain makers were obviously quicker off the mark than others - I have badges of the same pattern (in use over many years) with and without, but generally I think the process (of doing without) started in the ?late 1930s, more common to see wartime (2nd) and postwar badges without. Useful to hear though, about "amateur alchemy" - well done Keith !
Old 02-02-08, 01:08 PM

Default Spot The Fake

Here are a few pics of arguably one of the most commonly faked badges. The 1915 pattern KDG badge. See if you can spot the booby?
More pics on next window!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2897.jpg (50.3 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2898.jpg (47.3 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2899.jpg (31.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2900.jpg (50.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2901.jpg (45.5 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by Cardiffbloke; 02-02-08 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-02-08, 01:12 PM

Default More pics to Help

More pics to help your decision making process!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2902.jpg (46.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2903.jpg (53.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2905.jpg (45.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2907.jpg (43.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2908.jpg (59.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 02-02-08, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Too easy - it is the Gaunt marked one!

Ala
Old 02-02-08, 08:13 PM

Default Fakes

Well Done Alan, but that was too easy... i gave you some great detailed pics.... i shall see what i can do next time!!
Old 02-02-08, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Lovely collection though. Not my knowledge I must confess but the KDG were the subject of a long discussion on MCN forum last year and a former QDG Trooper had some excellent examples to show.

Alan
Old 03-02-08, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantam View Post
Kieth,
Photo of SWB small badge attached to previous message.Await comments!!
I can take it I,m to old to go collecting driftwood.
Regards
Bantam
I honestly don't know, never been near one before. I'll make a few enquiries with a dealer I correspond with and see if he's ever had one and if he knows about the sweatholes.
Old 04-02-08, 08:57 AM

Default MCN Forum??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
Lovely collection though. Not my knowledge I must confess but the KDG were the subject of a long discussion on MCN forum last year and a former QDG Trooper had some excellent examples to show.

Alan

Alan,

MCN Forum?? Do you have a link?

Howard