British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-15, 11:09 AM
Former Member

Default White-metal QC RASC?

I've had this a few years however I'm at a loss as to it's use or period of wear. Standard size and pattern cap badge (?), with lug fittings and struck in Wm, not plated?

Andy Ideas please?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30 Apr 15 008.jpg (81.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-05-15, 12:27 PM

Unfortunately I don't have David Kellocks book ( yet ) and I am pretty certain the answer would be in it but my best guess would be a Pipers badge.

A google search on RASC Pipe Bands produces quite a number of results.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 01-05-15, 01:12 PM
Former Member

Peter,
the pipers badges are larger than standard and cast! Thank you for taking time to reply!

Andy
Old 01-05-15, 04:26 PM

Kellock & McHenry list QC OR's in G/M (3-28), A/A in silver (3-29): "In 1961 the Other Ranks cap badge was changed to silver anodized aluminium often referred to as "Stay Bright") and 3-30 and 3-31: "Other ranks cap badges can also be found in white metal and also gold anodized aluminium. However I cannot authenticate when or by whom they were worn".

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 01-05-15, 08:41 PM

Hiya Gents,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your query Andy, now this is only a theory, so bare with me.

Andy; you haven't shown the reverse of the badge in question, showing the lugs fitted (E-W or N-S)

The GASC (Gurkha Army Service Corps) have issues of metal badges with lugs fitted N-S for fitting to the Slouch Hat
The RAASC have issues of metal badges with lugs fitted N-S for fitting to the Slouch Hat. I have a RAASC cap badge with E-W lugs in my collection

The GASC wore the RASC cap badge from formation in 1958-1960, this was prior to the issue of the GASC badges in the 1960's.

Could this be an RASC issue for the Slouch Hat ?? (Lugs Fitted) for either the British Army or Gurkha's, for wear with the Slouch Hat.

It could also be an RASC Bandman's badge?

FBK

Last edited by Fatboy Ken; 01-05-15 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Bandman's badge
Old 01-05-15, 09:03 PM

Default wm qc RASC

Hello all, I have always understood that the wm qc RASC badge was worn by pipers and probably pre-dates the large cast pipers badge (not the finest examples of the badge makers art), the lug fittings being right for wear on the glengarry. As for the silver aa RASC cap badges replacing the gm qc badges in 1961, (Kellock and McHenry), I have my doubts about that. I enlisted in the RCT on 22nd July, 1965, just a week after the corps was formed and on being allocated my bedspace found a gold aa qc RASC cap badge at the back of the top shelf of my locker, a couple of the other lads also found gold aa ones as well. In Germany the following year there were a few of the "old hands" still wearing their old RASC cap badges in working dress and they were all gold aa qc versions as well. The silver aa qc RASC badges might have been worn by pipers or bandsmen but not by anyone else to my knowledge.
Old 02-05-15, 04:11 PM

Just as an aside Dad wore his brass KC GVIR highly rubbed badge up till being re-badged as RAOC as that's were all the staff clerks went on disbandment of the RASC, I asked him was he ever told to remove it? His simple answer was yes!
Therefore all his photos just prior to transfer show him wearing his old badge and this was when in Aden in 1964.........just shows you cant always date a photo by the badge
Sean
Old 02-05-15, 04:26 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken View Post
Hiya Gents,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your query Andy, now this is only a theory, so bare with me.

Andy; you haven't shown the reverse of the badge in question, showing the lugs fitted (E-W or N-S)

Could this be an RASC issue for the Slouch Hat ?? (Lugs Fitted) for either the British Army or Gurkha's, for wear with the Slouch Hat.

It could also be an RASC Bandman's badge?

FBK
Ken,
the rear and many thanks for all the responses!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30 Apr 15 009.jpg (94.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-05-15, 10:25 PM

All silver would suggest pipers. Does anybody know how many regular and TA RASC companies there were that could have had pipers ?
Old 13-05-15, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the image Andy, It is mentioned in the Kellock/McHenry's book (The Waggoners)

Lugged RASC cap badges; (please don't quote me, as not near my books just yet) With the introduction of the beret, lugged cap badges were introduced.

Hello Mike,

In answer to your question, I believe there to be 3 in all.

Highland
Lowland
Ulster

Can't give any numbers just yet though, sorry

FBK
Old 13-05-15, 09:30 AM

I think the RASC Pipe Band which wore the large cast wm badge and I believe later a normal sized wm badge was 123 (Scottish) Transport Column RASC (V) on a Royal Stewart squared backing.

Only 152 (Ulster) Regiment RCT (V) and 153 (Highland) Regiment RCT (V) had Pipe Bands

153 (Highland) Regiment RCT (V) was formed in 1967 from the 51st (Highland) Divisional Regiment RCT (V) which was a RASC formation of the same name pre 1965

~

154 (Scottish) Regiment RLC [formerly The Scottish Transport Regiment RLC (V)] does not at the moment have a Pipe Band, but still maintains a small number of Pipers.

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 13-05-15 at 09:44 AM.