British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-06-14, 10:06 AM
Former Member

Default Household Cavalry Lugged Badges - Request for help!

I've an ongoing project which I hope will be of benefit to all and would like to request some help from fellow members please.

Does anyone have what they consider to be genuine "Lugged" Other Ranks badges to either 1LG, 2LG, LG or RHG? Only GvR and GviR ciphered badges please and not the H.Cav Forage cap badges, i.e. the Garter Strap. Just ORs badges please and not those that have been manufactured with lugs and not converted at unit level or otherwise from original blades!

Thanks in advance

Andy
Old 07-06-14, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
I've an ongoing project which I hope will be of benefit to all and would like to request some help from fellow members please.

Does anyone have what they consider to be genuine "Lugged" Other Ranks badges to either 1LG, 2LG, LG or RHG? Only GvR and GviR ciphered badges please and not the H.Cav Forage cap badges, i.e. the Garter Strap. Just ORs badges please and not those that have been manufactured with lugs and not converted at unit level or otherwise from original blades!

Thanks in advance

Andy
Andy

Attached images of O/R's 1LG with loops, which looks like it may have had Blades?
In addition, for interests sake, an image of a 2LG c/w slider which has no sign of blades being removed, I've been advised this may have been a private purchase?

Neither appear to have been originally bronzed.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Life Guards 1st & 2nd 001.jpg (77.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Life Guards 1st & 2nd 002.jpg (77.7 KB, 41 views)

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 07-06-14, 08:17 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robthereiver View Post
Andy

Attached images of O/R's 1LG with loops, which looks like it may have had Blades?
In addition, for interests sake, an image of a 2LG c/w slider which has no sign of blades being removed, I've been advised this may have been a private purchase?

Rob
Rob,
Many thanks, the lugged badge looks like an officers which has been fitted with lugs the other is not a private purchase item, the slider is of the extruded style and fitted to some all GM economy issued badges, so I would guess dates from c.1916 and also appears on many other c.WW1 badges. The latest use I've encountered is on the 4/7th RDG so definitely WW1 to a just a few years later.

Thanks for the images

Andy
Old 07-06-14, 10:49 PM

Andy

Surely if the 1st LG one was Officers it would be bronze or Gilt & Enamel?

Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 08-06-14, 07:03 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Andy

Surely if the 1st LG one was Officers it would be bronze or Gilt & Enamel?

Rob
Rob,
My Household Cavalry album is about to get a complete revamp, but here is a similar badge;

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=15618

This like yours would have been worn in the khaki SD cap and would have started life with a gilt finish. There would not have been a 2LG G&E badge, they would have worn the universal H.Cav badge in the coloured Forage Cap.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=15175

Andy
Old 08-06-14, 08:04 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Andy

Rob

Rob,
I should add that initially, after the King had offered to supply the badges the Officers and ORs badges were probably one and the same, the soldiers examples tend to be modified by the addition of a slider. These what I believe to be early badges were die struck and display reverse detail! The badge you show with lugs is, I'm pretty sure is a privately purchased officers example, thicker than the initial badges and die cast with a smooth reverse.

Andy