British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-09-11, 07:52 PM

In this case AF is Auxiliary Force (I explained that somwhere above, but made a typo). Read all about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_Force.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 22-09-11, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampwick View Post
Henk.. you want to get out more.. get a social life or a pet You seem to have it all at your fingertips! I'm immensely grateful for your help. I'll PM pics of the ones you were unsure of if that will help. Regards Terry PS AF = armed forces?
Either PM or here. When you do it here others can also shed light on them.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 25-09-11, 02:22 PM

57F = 57th Wilde's Rifles [Frontier Force] 1903-1922

10 = East Idian Railway Volunteer Rifle Corps [Auxilliary Force India]

18 = 48th Cavalry, Indian Armoured Corps
Old 25-09-11, 02:43 PM

43 = States Forces – Nagpore? [memory going]

44-49 all post '47 Pakistani: 44-46 look like variants of one of the paramilitary police units; 48 may be the PA military academy badge

66 = 103 Mahratta Light Infantry 1903-1922

71 = Army Catering Corps, Pak. Army

74 (& 75?) = Bihar regiment, Indian Army post '47

79 & 80 = Hyderabad State Forces units
Old 25-09-11, 04:20 PM

Thanks Peter. It's all coming together. What a fount of knowledge there is here!!
Old 26-09-11, 05:54 PM

29 & 35, one bronzed and the other silver.

East Bengal Rifle Volunteers [Auxilliary Force India]
Old 03-10-11, 09:03 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. All badges, other than the Sri Lankan, have been identified. This might come in handy as a reference for other collectors?
Old 05-06-12, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
For the next badges it is good to know that the Pakistan crest is the moon crescent and star. This often replaces the British royal crown when the badge stays the same otherwise.

But the Star of India was allready used in the British time and is often sill used in modern India. The British royal crown is replaced by the Indian state symbol: the lions of Ashoka.

In both cases that is not only true for cap badges and the like, but also for the rank badges of staff and general officers.

As I have no textual information (barely readable I am afraid), I can not even Google in the wild.

44) Pakistan.

45) Pakistan.

46) Pakistan.

47) The Mahar Regiment. Raised 1941. Still in the Indian Army. The text on the lower scroll seems to be MAHAR MG REGIMENT. The later Indian badge dropped the MG and uses Devanagri script for the name. Thus this is British Indian.

48) Indian, but text unreadable.

49) Pakistan.

50) Pakistan.

51) The Sikh Light Infantry (raised 1941, named as such 1944). The regiment is in the Indian army and still uses the same badge.

52) ARMY ???? Corps with Indian Ashoka lions.

53) 17th Poona Horse in the Indian army. This was the former 17th Queen Victoria's Own Poona Horse.

54) Pakistan Army Educational Corps? Looks very much like the earlier British badge.

55) Does it say Indian Army Service Corps? And of course from the British time.

56) Can not read this medical badge.

57) 19th Kumaon Regiment (from 1945), from 1946 The Kumaon Regiment. The now Indian regiment uses still the same badge.

58) The Sikh Regiment (in Indian service). Stated in 1922 as 11th Sikh Regiment.

59) The Bihar Regiment. Raised in 1941 and now in Indian service. As far as I know this badge was also used before independance.

60) As mentioned above, this is the state symbol of India. On it's own it could be the rank badge of a major (and of course used in ranks above that). But I do not know if size etc. allows this.

61) not sharp, is that a moon crescent and star at the top?

62) Do I read CEYLON there?

63) India.

64) Indian Army Medical Corps.

65) The Jat regiment. This is of course the Indian version, but the IX is still retained from the 1922 name 9th Jat Regiment.

66) Here I have a problem. Similar to one in another thread. There was no regiment with the number 103 in the presidential armies. After 1903 there was the 103rd Mahratta Light Infantry, but that unit did of course not use a grenade as it's badge. ??????????????

67) 3rd Madras Regiment from 1922. Disbanded 1928. Reraised 1941. Became The Madras Regiment in 1946. To India where it still exists.
Nice story: The regiment could not prove that the crown on it's badge was aproved to be worn. Thus the crown was not replaced by the Ashoka lions, but by an elephant.

68) Indian Air Force.

69) 18th King Edward's Own Cavalry (1922) became 18th King Edward VII's Own Cavalry (1936). Later to India and now 18 Cavalry.

70) Not readable, but could be 5th King Edward's Own Probyn's Horse (1922) then Probyn's Horse (King Edward's Own Lancers) (1927) then Probyn's Horse (King Edward VII's Own Lancers) (1936).
Later to Pakistan and became 5th Horse.

71) Pakistan.

72) A medical badge. It couls be that A.K.A. means Azad Kashmir Army. Azad (free) Kashmir had their own establishment for some time.

73) unreadable, but Indian.

74) as 59).

75) as 60), but black. An officers rank badge in a rifle unit?

76) unreadable Pakistani.

77) Pakistani Signals?

78) same as 58)

79) ?

80) ?

Please corrections, additions.

I am a bit out of steam now.
71= Army Corps of Clerks, Pakistan
72= Azad Kashmir Army medical Crops
76= Army services Corps, Pakistan
77= Corps of Signals, Pakistan

70 is not 5 Horse, this is from an Indian Armour Unit

Best wishes

Waquas
Old 06-06-12, 08:40 AM

Thanks Waquas. All have now been accounted for.
Old 07-06-12, 09:54 AM

Hi Lampwick,
Apologies for coming in at last minute, first time I have seen this post.

I have some corrections for you.

#55 and #56 should read as follows:
55 Burma Army Service Corps
56 Indian Hospital Corps

and #a I do not believe is Royal Indian Medical Corps.
As far as I am aware the medical services/corps were never Royal. Post 1943 was Indian Army Medical Corps and before this Indian Medical Service, Indian Medical Department and Indian Hospital Corps.

Regards
Steven
Old 07-06-12, 03:37 PM

Thanks for that Steve. Any suggestions about 'a'?
Old 07-06-12, 04:20 PM

Hi,
No sorry, most of my knowledge extends to the medical side of things.
I do see you have opened a new thread, so hopefully someone can identify it.

Steven
Old 08-06-12, 01:09 AM

Here are a few more, using Henk's list of unknowns:

10) Possibly from one of the college cadet corps in British India

18) 48th Cavalry, IA [WWII raised unit, still in service]

19) East Coast Battalion, Auxilliary Force, India [1922-1947]

27) seems to read “II / XV” 15th Punjab Regiment, with 5 Battalions [1922-1947] went to Pakistan on Independence. The quality of the badge suggests Pak Army to me, so probably the 2nd/15th earned/were given ‘Rifles’ status since ’47, perhaps in one of the Indo-Pak wars

39) Rampur Raza Infantry, State Forces [I think -80% sure]

41) "The 15th Gurkha is a mistake.” The dress regulations for the Indian Army, pre WWII, were compiled by sending out a questionnaire/form to each unit. One of the Army Lists in the mid-1930s had a ‘typo.’ – - from the regiment or the publishe isn’t clear – which described the badge as having the numeral “15” rather than the correct “10”. Using the regs as a source, enterprising bazaar wallahs often made up badges for private sale and is this case, seem to have done just that, not catching the mistake! They’re not all that uncommon after all this time, which is odd. But then many Indian badges are odd!

42) “There was a Nilgiri Volunteer Rifles in the AF” [Henk] And this is their badge! Here is a description from a sales catalogue [Bosley’s auctions] – “ a Guelphic crown, over the centre a circular strap, “Nilgiri Volunteer Rifles”, in the centre a strung bugle horn over a nilgai’s head cabossed”

43) State forces –Koch Bihar – symbol is a conch shell, also used on their coinage

44) Pakistan – one of the para-military police forces from the North West Frontier tribal areas, I believe

45) Pakistan Military Academy

46) Pakistan. – as 44

48) “Indian” [Henk] the star says ‘Pakistan’ I think a variant on their Command and Staff College badge

62) Ceylon Engineers

73) Indian Tri-Services – the Andaman and Nicobar Command [the only tri-services command as of 2010] has army, navy and air force personnel serving together in an integrated unit

76) Pakistani Army Service Corps

79) Hyderabad State Forces unit – the turban is unmistakeable. Hyderabad had a number of units, perhaps as many as 20

80) Hyderabad State Forces
Old 23-10-16, 12:44 PM

Smile 20th Punjab Regiment (Infantry and Cavalry)

Hello everybody,
It's wonderful to be here. I am a costume designer and working on a periodic movie. Looking at all the collection and info here, it's of great help for my project. I wanted some help specifically about the 20th Punjab infantry and cavalry. If anybody here can help me with their belt buckle monogram, or any kind of shoulder title they used to wear, it would be of immense help..

You can drop me a reply here or mail me on rinipant@gmail.com.

Thank you,
Regards,

Rini Pant.
Old 24-10-16, 12:45 PM

Dear Rini

You'll need to give us a little more infromation if anyione is to be of real help: what period is your film set in and which cavalry unit[s] are you representing?

Brownlow's Punjabis, as they were originally titles, in the 1900-1922 period wore a brass shoulder title with 'XXP' for '20th Punjabis' and a classic light infantry bugle horn as a side cap badge for the British officers, the Duke of Cambridge's cipher under a crown as a collar badge and rather elaborate buttons with 'DCO Infantry' around a 'XX', all on a cross of the sort common to Rifle/Light Infantry regiments.