British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-06-08, 10:25 AM
Badge Guru

Hi Steve,

Lugs 13mm in length, are you sure that is correct for an Indian shoulder board? From Kukhri tip to Kukhri tip it measures 42mm in diameter. There are no signs of where a lion or anything else has been attached.
Old 10-06-08, 05:02 PM

Where a pre independence regiment had a crown (POW feathers etc as a symbol of the British) it was usually replaced by the Lions of Ashoka - a symbol of India. One of the earliest depictions was the badge of The Bihar Regiment, raised from the 11/19th Hyderabad Regiment, as early as September 1941 - see "The Sons of John Company"(Gaylor). The badge for the Bihars is solely the Lions of Ashoka on a plinthe with the title "Bihar".
Old 10-06-08, 08:11 PM

Hi JJ
Those lugs are too long for shoulders, it was the of these size that made the badge look smaller than it is. The badge is cap badge size. the lugs are modern. It may be a early independence one, after removing the crown and before adding the lions. It is Bazar quality althought the lugs are rather well made.
I shall E mail a friend, but he is in the wilds of Nepal/India at the moment so out of contact.

Steve
Old 12-06-08, 10:35 AM

Hi,
attached are a picture of the std issue 9th Gorkhas (width 40mm) with the lions and a WM British Indian issue (width 43mm) worn between 1925-38.

Not all the Gorkha regts have the lions. The 1st, 4th (on cap badge),8th, 11th. The 4th have the lions on Belt buckle and pipers badge.

The ones with the Lions all had crowns pre independence, 3rd,5th and 9th.

The 3rd picture shows the cap, officers cap boss, pouch badge, buckle. the last picture is a selection of the 1st, 3rd and 4th. Showing officers cross belt badges and pipers plaid broaches.

When I get a reply about the Lions I'll post it.

Regards
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6111898.jpg (51.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg P6111901.jpg (48.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P6111899.jpg (58.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P6111900.jpg (66.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Gurkha; 12-06-08 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 13-06-08, 08:55 AM
Badge Guru

Thank you for th posts Gurkha.

So my badge is a cast 1925-38 issue? Although its hard to tell on the pic if yours is cast. How did this find its way into a box of staybright?
Old 16-06-08, 01:22 PM

Hi JJ,
Mine is cast and has copper wire lugs on the rear, these have no foot at the braze point.

IMO the badge you have is a modern copy, as one with very similer cast flaws is on E bay (320262571804 ).
I have heard from my contact albit briefly who is in India . The lions were approved for wear on Indian badges in 1949 and adopted in 1950. The units seemed to please themselves, and some units still have not taken them into use, whilst others added them in the 60's.

It is a posibilty that the one you have may have been worn by the regt post 47 and pre 50. The regt History I have extends in post independence but does not help.

Steve
Old 16-06-08, 01:57 PM
Badge Guru

Yes I agree it does look like a Simmone copy. Oh well for 25p its not a massive loss and it goes to show that now his bad stuff is getting mixed in good collections of genuine badges.

Thank you for all your research Steve.
Old 16-06-08, 07:46 PM

enjoy helping JJ
Steve

Tags
3rd gorkha badge, 9th gorkha rifles, gurkha rifles, indian cast brass