British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-09-11, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi Clay,

Thanks for your contribution. I agree it is just a bit of scrap paper used as backing, I never thought it way anything else. Just thought it was a bit of fun and added a little local interest. I have many Chindit patches and this is the first I have had with such a backing. I never thought it was anything more than that but certainly thought it interesting and worth sharing.

Best wishes, Roy.
The lower one is an interesting variant - painted on a disc of tin - no fittings, only the small hole at 12 o'clock. I've had it for decades.
3 Indian Div SF.jpg
Old 02-09-11, 08:22 PM

Hi Mike,

Yes that's very interesting. It looks to be around the same size as the normal patches, it that correct? perhaps it was a shop pattern, the hole possibly because it was nailed above the workbench as a guide perhaps?

Great item, if you get bored of it let me know. Also I've been looking for a printed example, anyone got one?

Thanks for sharing Mike, great items.

All the best, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 05-10-11, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Okay Chap's,

I just added this super Chindie patch to my collection (see album). This one is really interesting in that woven into the backing is some 'scrap' paper with writing on...! Now this appears to be one of the Indian/Nepalese (?) languages which would make sense but I know less than nothing about this topic. I know it's a long shot but is there any here that can read any of the languages of that region and could shed some light on exactly what language it is? who knows it might be an indication as to the area this was made.

All the best, Roy.
This appears to be in Urdu script and not Deva Nagri script as used in India and Nepal.
May be an indicator that this was manufactured in Pakistan.
Old 05-10-11, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter R. Moore View Post
This appears to be in Urdu script and not Deva Nagri script as used in India and Nepal.
May be an indicator that this was manufactured in Pakistan.
That can't be true as Pakistan only exists since 1947.

Before partition many Urdu speaking people lived around the whole of India. Urdu was the lingua franca of northern India. It was widely used throughout the army since long. As Urdu developed as the common language of armies and army camp life from the Mogols (and may be even earlier). It naturaly flew into bazar live because here also people of different native languages have to understand each other.

After partition, it became the national language of Pakistan. And in India, where also many millions of people knew it, it was rechristened Hindi and officialdom also tried to make it the national language. So the difference between the two was rather artificial in the beginning. Of course in Pakstan they use Arabic to write it and in India, especialy officialdom, nowadays everywhere, uses Devanagri. Then more differences crept in. Partly triggered by religion (my husband (wife) is different), partly by explicitly using new words of one own invention (Urdu looks Television, Hindi looks Distantlooker). But there are still many people in India that say they can speak Urdu (beside their first language).

But that is all later then the badge. I have no doubt that scrap peper can originate from any part of north British India (or even beyond).

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 08-11-11, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
That can't be true as Pakistan only exists since 1947.

Before partition many Urdu speaking people lived around the whole of India. Urdu was the lingua franca of northern India. It was widely used throughout the army since long. As Urdu developed as the common language of armies and army camp life from the Mogols (and may be even earlier). It naturaly flew into bazar live because here also people of different native languages have to understand each other.

After partition, it became the national language of Pakistan. And in India, where also many millions of people knew it, it was rechristened Hindi and officialdom also tried to make it the national language. So the difference between the two was rather artificial in the beginning. Of course in Pakstan they use Arabic to write it and in India, especialy officialdom, nowadays everywhere, uses Devanagri. Then more differences crept in. Partly triggered by religion (my husband (wife) is different), partly by explicitly using new words of one own invention (Urdu looks Television, Hindi looks Distantlooker). But there are still many people in India that say they can speak Urdu (beside their first language).

But that is all later then the badge. I have no doubt that scrap peper can originate from any part of north British India (or even beyond).
The Urdu language was born in the North Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is the state that borders Nepal in the south.

Urdu was derived from Hindi and Persian .... not the other way round.

Also the other border states to the south of Nepal )Bihar and West Bengal do not have an Urdu speaking Majority.

What I am trying to stress here is that Hindi predates Urdu...

As far as the script goes, the Indian (undivided) provinces of Sindh and Punjab also used the urdu script for their language.

It's like most european contries using latin as their script irrespective of the Language they speak.