British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-11-21, 01:39 PM

I see trouble ahead.
Old 25-11-21, 01:45 PM

Perhaps Armani Jeans are going to sponsor the new regiment, with the present political situation nothing would surprise me, money has to come from somewhere.

P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 25-11-21, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Crap, like a lot of things today cheap and nasty !

P.
I’m with Peter
Old 25-11-21, 08:22 PM

Would it look better if it had a crown on the bird? Or would that destroy the symmetry of the badge? I agree with all of the comments that it looks “foreign” - but maybe that was intentional given the Regt will be required to fight alongside local forces?
Old 25-11-21, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
Would it look better if it had a crown on the bird? Or would that destroy the symmetry of the badge? I agree with all of the comments that it looks “foreign” - but maybe that was intentional given the Regt will be required to fight alongside local forces?
It certainly does look foreign. With all the panoply of history of badges in the British Army, they could have done better, one would think.

CB
Old 25-11-21, 09:07 PM

The similarity to the badge of the Selous Scouts must be more than coincidental?
Old 26-11-21, 12:01 AM

All this talk about how ugly the badge is sounds strange to me. If you really want an example of a badge that looks weird then look no further than the cap badge of the Berkshire Yeomanry. As a hill carving it looks impressive, no doubt about that, but as a cap badge the White Horse of Uffington looks absolutely ridiculous. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 26-11-21, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
All this talk about how ugly the badge is sounds strange to me. If you really want an example of a badge that looks weird then look no further than the cap badge of the Berkshire Yeomanry. As a hill carving it looks impressive, no doubt about that, but as a cap badge the White Horse of Uffington looks absolutely ridiculous. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
A lovely and slightly unusual badge based on / featuring a historic county landmark, feature or symbol, similar in this respect to many other British Army badge designs.

There is a clearly lack of tradition or even British feel to the Rangers design. But if that was their intention then they have achieved it. All my own opinion of course.

Ultimately as you say beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I’m glad someone likes it! But give me a wonky donkey any day over the Rangerio Armani logo
Old 26-11-21, 08:20 AM

Awful, truly awful!
Chris
Old 26-11-21, 09:36 AM
LYPAO Boff

.... I agree with all..... it looks awful and it does NOT look British in heritage or design. The grey beret is a bit of an insult to the old Regiments IMHO.

Further :- British Heraldry has many images of the falcon and, i am sure, the Royal College of Arms could have helped in a much better and more appropriate image in its creation. Quite what the relationship a solitary avian hunter has to the new Ranger Regiment is? .... other than the childish "it looks cool" element.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 26-11-21 at 11:10 AM.
Old 26-11-21, 09:43 AM

Aside from one or two members who like it, it appears that the vast majority dislike the new badge, myself included. Some are already trying to coin amusing new names for the regiment itself by mocking the similarity to previous badges from history, fashion houses, computer games, etc.

As a forum of members whose passion and knowledge about these things is pretty vast, to say the least, what would we have preferred to have seen? Was this design always destined to be completely new from a blank canvas, or did the Rangers of old have some kind of 'thread' from previous (18th-century?) incarnations which they could have drawn from for design ideas?
Old 26-11-21, 10:22 AM

"Power Rangers", badge, some similarities.
Ah no, now I see their badge isn't a bird, it's crossed swords with a skull above?

On a more serious note, could something more similar to the badge of the "The Queen's York Rangers (1st American Regiment)" be appropriate? (I don't know what significance the design has in terms of harking back to the units forebears Rodger's Rangers).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211126-101229_Chrome~2.jpg (35.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 26-11-21, 10:43 AM

This one is "bad-ass" !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bad Ass.jpg (31.3 KB, 40 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 26-11-21, 10:54 AM

Brigadier Gus Fair was commissioned into the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, although he later commanded the Light Dragoons.

Perhaps an influence on the choice of a grey beret for the Ranger regiment?

Tim
Old 26-11-21, 11:23 AM

Oh my, the MOD Army site has the badge appearing through smoke, good grief!!
Grey from the feathers or some cr*p according to the site, enjoy....
https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-eve...ent-cap-badge/