British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-10-21, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
And I struggle to believe a ranker could turn up on parade with a silver plate badge with officers style voiding. I suspect he wouldn’t get much affection from his Sergeant or the rest of his company from the consequences of being ‘special’.
I think you need to understand what it is to serve in a Family Regiment and I can speak from 25 years 254 days service Pte to WO1(RSM) I or any of my NCO's would ever question a soldier wearing an officers pattern cap badge.

We as a family regiment may be unique in this, but I believe it does happen in other Scottish regiment, and the clue is in what we are 'A Family Regiment' soldiers are entitled to wear their relative cap badges and we as a regiment have kept up this practise for decades, GGGrand Fathers, etc, and Fathers and as you might expect they are worn with pride and a conversation topic when the inspecting officers served with and knows of the soldiers relative.

So please do not get to hung up on who wore this, as long as the badge has not been altered out with the regulation pattern then its good.

Kind regards
Hiram
Old 10-10-21, 12:46 AM

I think this has been well said. I became suspicious of so called "NCO" badges quite some time ago with regard to regiments that had no specific pattern designated. In many cases with Scottish regiments in particular, there is no difference between what is called and NCO or officer badge. Similarly, there is was nothing that I have ever heard of to prevent an OR from wearing an officer quality badge as long as it conformed to the correct pattern of the OR badge. Indeed, some eg. Camerons, cannot be distinguished unless removed from the head dress and inspected. Collectors tend to be a bit too pedantic in this regard.

CB
Old 10-10-21, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
The chap who runs A1 Militaria has told me this is ‘definitely’ a SNCO badge and an early one with the tail still up.

As I said I’m 100% sure it’s been manufactured this way not modified by local craftsmen - again it’s GM underneath and I know of a great many SP badges which are on a GM/brass base.

And I struggle to believe a ranker could turn up on parade with a silver plate badge with officers style voiding. I suspect he wouldn’t get much affection from his Sergeant or the rest of his company from the consequences of being ‘special’.

If NCOs wear / wore higher quality badges than ORs, which I’m sure most will accept they did, then this does seem to fit the bill.
I agree. I feel that there's a difference between a squaddie wearing a "family badge" and one just deciding to cut a dash by adapting or having a craftsman adapt a badge to his liking.
Anyway, you appear to be refering to an individual just choosing to wear such an adapted badge or a private purchase manufactured badge similar to an officer's badge rather than a family badge being worn.
Perhaps that sort of thing may have been more permissable for walking out purposes though?

An expert in the field has advised you that this badge is definitely a SNCO's,
I'm not disputing that family badges were and are worn and I don't know whether it would be permissable in some units for a junior rank to wear a SNCO's family badge but they don't seem relevant to what you're saying about this badge.

OK, I was in an English Regiment, in a Battalion which had pride in its history and its regimental symbols but if I'd decided to wear an officer quality cap badge of same design to an issue OR's badge but of superior metals I can state with absolute certainty that I would have been the recipient of very aggressive verbal and perhaps physical advice and that my feet wouldn't have touched the ground on the way to the Guardroom.

Family badges in some regiments side, dress and clothing regs etc tend to cover which badges are worn by which ranks rather than an individual's personal choice.