British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-09-21, 12:17 AM

Default Salvation Army?

Not my line but my Son dug it while metal detecting. I assume the button to be from a Salvation Army uniform. It’s make-up is a bit strange but what really intrigues me is the “Maker’s Mark” Nowhere can I find them as button manufacturers but find them as “Mohair” manufacturers and a fascinating read as to where some of their designs originated. It appears to have a plating and is 23.05mm dia. When trying to find a like button through search engines, I draw a complete blank. Anyone have a line on this or can confirm it IS Salvation Aymy? Thank you in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BCEE4308-867D-455B-B1A0-49796ED52162.jpg (39.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg AD7D80F7-3A5E-43D1-A661-8AA6662D2605.jpg (59.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 356E9153-B4E9-4736-9386-026351F8D070.jpg (42.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-09-21, 02:55 AM

This got me curious so I tried doing some searching as well. I am not sure if this has always been the case, but the Salvation Army wear black buttons on their tunics and overcoats, and spell out "Salvation Army" going around the button.

This listing will show a couple of them (hope the link works).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17476937625...p2047675.l2557

Then I found this listed as a Women's Salvation Army tunic button. But it has only the "S" on it.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/wh...nn-button.html

Basically, I seem to have come up with nothing finite. I did look at some 1920's photos on line of SA workers and they all wore the hard rubber black buttons. I also tried the maker and again drew a blank. Lastly, I have enquired through an historical society for Lesher Whitman and maybe they can help.

Sorry I can't be any help, but will follow the thread to see if it gets a finite answer.
Terry

Last edited by Home Guard; 11-09-21 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11-09-21, 05:57 AM

Hi,
The picture is upside down. It is SV - Sons of Veterans a fraternal organisation linked to the veterans of the US civil war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_o..._the_Civil_War
Old 11-09-21, 04:24 PM

Hi Terry and Btns, many thanks for your help in identifying my button. After reading btns’ reply, I searched on the famous auction site and came up with a couple of identical buttons. Hopefully Terry, you might be able to pinpoint the maker’s Mark to establish the approximate age of the button. I know I have helped a couple of people on this forum site so the answers I’ve received about the button so far, have come as a very pleasant surprise. Thank you both. David J.
Old 11-09-21, 07:53 PM

Hi David,
Here are details on the button's backmark:

Lesher & Whitman, NYC, 1855-at least 1898. Listed in 1858 as trimming dealers at 8 Park Place and in 1862-1863 as importers. The firm continued as clothierss and trimmings dealers & importers to at least 1925. Some backmarks woud be post Civil-War as the firm ordered many buttons from Scovill in the 1870's-1880's.

From: American Military Button Makers and Dealers, McGuinn & Bazelon

The button type with its separate rim is called "staff-type".

best regards,
Old 11-09-21, 10:14 PM

Hello btns, I really appreciate the time you must have taken in researching Lesher - Whitman. And what’s more, your final sentence where you explain the term “Staff”. From “Never too old to Learn” David J.