British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-08-09, 12:24 AM

Default 83rd Anti-Aircraft Regt help needed

Hope someone can help.

During WWII, my Dad served with the 83rd anti-aircraft regiment, RA. I'm looking for any information on this particular unit but I'd especially like to know exactly what insignia they wore.

Thanks in advance.

Kev C
Old 13-08-09, 03:44 PM

Aww c'mon guys, there must be someone out there who can help - 54Bty for example??.

I assume my Dad wore the standard RA gun cap badge and 'ROYAL ARTILLERY' red on dark blue shoulder titles but what about a shoulder flash?.

Thanks

Kev C
Old 14-08-09, 07:02 AM

There seems to be a bit on google if you do a search.

Without knowing if this regiment served as part of a field formation or anti-aircraft command, no one can comment on insignia other than shoulder titles, arm of service strips and white lanyard. He may have worn the grenade badge rather than the gun on his cap GS. Also possibly depending on the regiment a backing to the cap badge.
Old 14-08-09, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the response 'REME245'.

Yes I've tried google but I couldn't find very much at all, just stuff relating to the 83rd's formation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REME245 View Post
Without knowing if this regiment served as part of a field formation or anti-aircraft command
That's really what I need to find out regarding the wearing of shoulder flashes, I just didn't know how to word it correctly.

So, my next question would have to be - is it possible to find out if this unit served under a field-formation or command?.

Thanks for putting me right about the possibility of the grenade cap badge being worn, I hadn't thought of that.

Cheers

Kev C
Old 14-08-09, 04:59 PM

Hi Kev, about the unit I found in a RA related website two units, a 83rd LAA Regt. and a 83rd Heavy AA Regt.
The 83rd LAA was Home Forces from Aug.1941 to Apr.1945 when disbanded.(Formed from batteries from 36 and 43 LAA Regts.)

As for the 83rd (Blytheswood) HAA Regt.it was formed Sept.1939,Home Forces. Sept.1940,42AA Bde,to 12 AA Div. UK. Jun.1942,to 10th Army,Iraq. Sept.1942,to PAI Force,Iraq. Apr.1943,to 9th Army,Palestine. Jan 1944 to ME Forces,N.Africa. Sept. 1944,placed in suspended animation.
Formed with 257,258 and 259 Batteries RA

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 14-08-09, 08:18 PM

Some much-needed timeline information there Jo - thankyou.

I've just had another look at my records and it was the 83rd Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regt my Dad served with.

So, pre-1942 when the 83rd was with 42 AA Bde attached to the 12th AA Div.,shoulder flash was the 'double-six' domino on a red diamond.

Thanks again for you input guys, I really appreciate it.

Kev C
Old 14-08-09, 08:42 PM

Just happy to be of service,Kev.
Cheers
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 08-09-09, 02:00 AM

83rd (Blythswood) Heavy AA Regt. was originally formed from 7th (Blythswood) Bn. Highland Light Infantry in 1938. Post-war (as 483rd (mixed) Heavy AA Regt they wore a square of Mackenzie tartan to denote their HLI origins. Doubtful that it was worn during the war.

Dean
Old 28-05-13, 01:58 PM

Did the 7th Bn H.L.I. become the 83rd Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, R.A.? That is what an article in the Piping Times (no. 55-6, March 2003) says.
Appendix 6 of the regimental history "Proud Heritage" volume 4 just mentions that in 1938 the 7th battalion was converted to L.A.A. Regiment.
So the question is: H.A.A. or L.A.A.?
Aad
Old 28-05-13, 03:47 PM

83rd (Blythswood) HAA Brigade (later 83 HAA Regt) was formed at Bridgton, Glasgow 1 Nov 38 by conversion of 7th (Blythswood) Bn, Highland Light Infantry. Consisted of 257, 258 and 259 HAA Btys. Placed in Suspended Animation 4 Apr 44 and reconstituted on 1 Jan 47 as 483rd (Blythswood) (Mixed) HAA Regt RA(TA).

[RHQ 83rd LAA Regt RA was formed at Ashton Keys, Wiltshire on 28 Aug 41 and consisted of 79 (ex-45th LAA Regt) LAA Bty, 216th (ex-7!st LAA Regt) LAA Bty and 277 LAA Bty. RHQ disbanded 10 Apr 45 (the batteries disbanded separately)]
Old 26-07-18, 08:21 PM

Default My granda did too, i may have a photo of your dad

I have photos from my granda in that regiment, maybe ur dad is amongst them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAC_GPR View Post
Hope someone can help.

During WWII, my Dad served with the 83rd anti-aircraft regiment, RA. I'm looking for any information on this particular unit but I'd especially like to know exactly what insignia they wore.

Thanks in advance.

Kev C
Old 26-07-18, 08:24 PM

Smile Info is correct

Yeah this info is completely correct, my granda was in this regiment also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Hi Kev, about the unit I found in a RA related website two units, a 83rd LAA Regt. and a 83rd Heavy AA Regt.
The 83rd LAA was Home Forces from Aug.1941 to Apr.1945 when disbanded.(Formed from batteries from 36 and 43 LAA Regts.)

As for the 83rd (Blytheswood) HAA Regt.it was formed Sept.1939,Home Forces. Sept.1940,42AA Bde,to 12 AA Div. UK. Jun.1942,to 10th Army,Iraq. Sept.1942,to PAI Force,Iraq. Apr.1943,to 9th Army,Palestine. Jan 1944 to ME Forces,N.Africa. Sept. 1944,placed in suspended animation.
Formed with 257,258 and 259 Batteries RA

Jo
Old 30-08-21, 04:49 PM

Default This was years ago but...

I know this was years ago but I hope you still get this. My granda was in that regiment too and i have pics. I tried inserting them but its asking for a url and theyre not online. If you are on ancestry look for my tree Bisset tree and look up Joseph Bisset 1913-1986 and you will see the photos Hope one of them is someone you recognise
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAC_GPR View Post
Hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance.

Kev C